cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miracle escape

Fixes: 125

Miracle escape

Boeing 777 bursts into flames on landing but all 282 passgengers and 18 crew get out alive.

Three hundred passengers and crew miraculously escaped with their lives this morning when their Emirates jet crash-landed at Dubai airport and exploded.

All of those on board, including 24 Britons and six Americans, were led to safety at Dubai International Airport, minutes before the Boeing 777 was completely destroyed in a massive fireball.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Miracle escape

Watching that on the BBC news it seemed hardly possible that everyone got out with no physical injuries but some may have psychological problems such as using a aircraft again.

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My brother works for emirates as crew and stated the crew emptied the plane within 90 seconds. Excellent

Community Veteran

Under the circumstances I can understand passangers wanting to get off quickly without the need to take luggage but 90 seconds is very impressive.

On a normal landing, once the doors are open and everyone is getting their luggage it seems an eternity before you can get off if there is only one exit and you are at the back of the queue.

Smiley

Fixes: 125

Whether I am getting off a plane or exiting the cinema or similar I simply wait till everyone else has gone. Saves all that pushing and shoving so less stressWink

90 seconds is really impressive considering there may have been panic setting in. Well done for the Emirates staff for keeping their heads cool.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

zishan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just got an update from brother that a fireman list his life fighting the flames. The worse news is there's a video circulating showing idiots in plane grabbing their laptops, luggage etc etc. Shame
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

For many years I used to consume aviation safety and accident books avidly. When I began to travel by air regularly, when seated the first thing I did was to look for the nearest exit and how to open it, I also used to read the safety document, and judging that during the ditching demonstration I was probably the only one watching I regularly found the demonstrators seemed to be looking straight at me, followed by a weak smile.

No, I'm not paranoid about flight safety, but a little prior information might save your life. The one thing that most air safety authors agreed on was that those that survived any kind of disasters were those who moved the quickest rather than wait for somebody else to tell them what to do, which research suggests is what most passengers do until its too late.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

zishan wrote:
The worse news is there's a video circulating showing idiots in plane grabbing their laptops, luggage etc etc. Shame

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36971855

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's funny how people care more about their possessions than their own lives, cos without their lives, their possessions are someone else's...