Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor earthquakes near Blackpool

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Minor earthquakes near Blackpool

There was a quake with its epicentre in Lincolnshire some years ago and we felt it here in London.

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 921

@Strat wrote:

I've only experienced one in Sheffield and I'd prefer not to experience another.

I believe it was this one.

There was a big tremor in Sheffield of an earthquake somewhere I think in 2009 or 2010, and I somehow slept right through it!

[edit]

Actually think it might have been this:

@jelv wrote:

Last time they were fracking it resulted in a 2.3 magnitude quake on 01/04/2011.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fracking will continue no matter what level of earthquakes occur, if Blackpool tower disappeared down a big hole due to fracking it would still continue.

It's all about...£££££££+++

I have nothing against fracking and do not live many miles from the site but the government in one sentence says it wishes to reduce pollution and use natural energy sources but on the other hand supports fracking ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Solar and wind obviously rely on weather conditions to produce energy and these are not always favourable.

In the US Shale has transformed their energy providing much cheaper energy as well as making them less dependent on imports.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@artmo wrote:

In the US Shale has transformed their energy providing much cheaper energy as well as making them less dependent on imports.

Hasn't 'Fracking' also caused contaminated groundwater in some places in the US, which many people rely on for their water source?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

It was an allegation in the early days of fracking but I don't know the outcome. There has certainly not been any recent issues as for as I know.

They had a lot of political lobbying against fracking just as we are seeing here.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Fracking is a much more expensive process than just drilling for oil.

It is only profitable when oil prices are high - at other times its just a gamble.

If the environmental clean-up consequences are priced in, it is never profitable.

All that water (with "special chemicals") used to fracture the rock has to be disposed of - you can't just pump it into the nearest stream.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And another tremor today.....1.1 on the scale, the biggest so far.

If they have to stop fracking for 18 hours if tremors are above a certain figure and that happens on a daily basis the firm might face more losses than profit.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Why only 18 hours?

Longer would be better.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

What do they do during the 18 hour stoppage?

Much as I am in favour of fracking I feel there needs to be an urgent review into the problems that have occurred. Something isn't right.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Strat wrote: I've only experienced one in Sheffield and I'd prefer not to experience another.
I believe it was this one.

Funny you should post that, not a million miles from where I live. When I bought this place, one thing I couldn't quite work out was where all the minor cracking in the plaster around the windows, door frames etc had come from. As part of redecorating the place, I just filled them in.

I mentioned it to my sister one day (lived about 60 miles away) how strange the house was with no sign of subsidence and yet cracked up. It was then she enlightened me about the earthquake that had occurred a few years previously. Being out in the Far East at the time meant I was blissfully unaware.Huh Seems the earth moved for her that night. Her bed danced around the room! Funny

Like the fracking, I'm certain it's where they are pumping out the oil. As you go around the area, one comes across small sites with a nodding donkey pumping the oil out of the ground. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?