cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum wage up to £6.50 an hour

TORPC
Grafter

Minimum wage up to £6.50 an hour

[quote=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26543267]The national minimum wage will increase by 19p an hour to £6.50, the government has announced.

The new rates will be implemented in October
and will benefit a million workers.
Business Secretary Vince Cable said he had accepted a recommendation from the Low Pay Commission that the minimum wage should increase by 3%.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Minimum wage up to £6.50 an hour

meh.  still a pittance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

It's £6.50 MORE than I get at the moment  Angry
Devonian
Grafter

I honestly don't know how people can get by on minimum wage.  It must be a real struggle.
Community Veteran

It is, SHMBO works 20hrs a week, for what she earns we are £20 a MONTH better off than if she were unemployed  Crazy
It is a struggle to keep afloat, if I hadn't paid of the mortgage several years ago we wouldn't be able to cope.
Devonian
Grafter

Life seem's pretty unfair at the moment for a lot of people.  Most people I know work full time, and all most all are on minimum wage, or just over, and they are struggling.
I'm lucky because me and the other half both work full time, but I don't think I could afford to live here if either of us lost our jobs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
It's £6.50 MORE than I get at the moment  Angry

Ditto. I've also been screwed over workwise by the NHS who don't give a stuff about anything other than handing out prescriptions to cost me every last penny they can.
My partner has access to the prescriptions pricing lists. Most of the stuff they prescribe me is a maximum of £1.50 yet I have to pay £7.85 for it. So in effect, the NHS is profiteering out of what they have done to me year after year.
Oh.. and I get no state support either so in effect I am being targetting by the state and they're trying to strangle me financially.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And it gets worse, prescriptions. Are being increased to £8.20 unless you live in Wales or Scotland in which case they are free.
Fixes: 47

The sick are financing the low paid. Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Being diabetic I get free prescriptions anyway. Just as well as I couldn't afford the 10+ every month otherwise. Cry
Community Veteran

So you're in a better mess than me then lol.
They've completely ruined me. I'm going to loose the car soon thats been laid up on the drive for 3 years. Been unable to do anything to it and now the boot is leaking via the rust round the wiper arm  Roll eyes
It sucks being a cripple thanks to the NHS.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

just get a pre payment card and then your only paying for 2 items a month and receiving as many as your prescribed Smiley
back when I paid for it (instead of getting my exemption card) it worked out that I paid for 2 months worth of drugs and got the other 10 months worth for free Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I ilooked into that previously but it wouldn't work for me for some reason (can't remember what now). It also doesn't help that my prescriptions are not regular - they're irratic. One month I can have nothing and the next I'll have 4 or 5 prescriptions.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

there's no reason why a pre payment wouldn't work, its just a card that says you paid for 12 months up front and everything prescribed is then "free", it works out at about £14 a month (equivalent to 2 lines a month)
unless you looked into the shorter period cards (which work out cheaper often to just pay as required)  I say prepayment card because you log onto the website once a year and purchase it and save a fortune over the year, certainly it makes life a lot easier to budget and no more worrying about getting stuff from the doctor that you cant afford to pick up for another week ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: 7up
So you're in a better mess than me then lol.
They've completely ruined me. I'm going to loose the car soon thats been laid up on the drive for 3 years. Been unable to do anything to it and now the boot is leaking via the rust round the wiper arm  Roll eyes
It sucks being a cripple thanks to the NHS.
How come some people are entitled to a car for either themselves or for a family member who is disabled .? Are you not in this category based on your last sentence.