Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum price for alcohol - 40p per unit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Minimum price for alcohol - 40p per unit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17482035
So minimum price for my red wine will be £4 per bottle which in itself wouldn't affect me directly but with that minimum either the cheap wine would largely vanish or, more likely, the more expensive wine would just increase in price to keep the differential.
I wonder how the 5% discount for buying 6 bottles would work
EDIT From http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16194599
As well as a minimum unit price, the government is banning the sale of multi-buy discount deals,
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Minimum price for alcohol - 40p per unit

Used for medicinal purposes only?
The anticoagulant properties of wine may have the potential benefits of reducing the risk of blood clots that can lead to heart disease.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Does the proposal explain where the extra money go?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it is a good idea if I'm honest but only on drinks that are attractive to binge drinkers - EG cider, lager, beer, alcho pops etc. Sure I suppose there are a few who get sozzled on wine but far fewer although if you left wine alone I suppose they'd be accused of looking after the rich again.
In fairness I think it's a good idea.. but then what else are the yong supposed to do for fun? - Everything costs money. There is nothing free for them to do in the evenings and then they wonder why people become addicted to XBox's and Playstations  Crazy
I would of loved a job on the railways when I was young but that was ruled out for me and so was college / uni so like most young people I went and did the same thing - bought booze and got drunk with mates for a laugh.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When I was young I didn't have the money for much booze but that didn't stop me I simply brewed my own. I Found it great fun and the Wines I made were a lot better that the cheap rubbish that was available in those days.
Unlikely today's youth will bother making their own stuff as there is a variety of alternatives (mostly illegal) that they can get easily their hands on.
Not likely to return to the days of brewing my own as I simply cannot take it now, 3 pints or half a bottle of wine & I would be asleep for the best part of the day
Fixes: 47

We also used to brew (well my wife did) and we had a rack in the outhouse holding 3 x 10 gallon pressure barrels with a selection of beers and lagers available.
I don't know how duties apply in that situation Undecided
Edit: A quick Google tells me home brewing for domestic consumption is exempt. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

No duty on home brew wines/beers for personal consumption. I personally don't drink any alcoholic drink with a price tag of less than £1 per unit of alcohol. It used to be never drink a scotch that is half your age, but that is now getting a bit expensive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Who else can remember when supermarkets could not sell alcohol? (OK to some of us supermarkets are a new) Embarrassed
Alcohol had to be bought from a licensed premises called an "off-licence", the off licence price was often more expensive the the bar price.
Was there a  culture of binge drinking?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Me and I used to brew beer (including mashing the grain) and wine because it was too expensive otherwise (that was after I got married and started a family).
With respect to binge drinking I think most of my friends (and me) would have been classed as binge drinkers due to drinking 4 pints and over on a Saturday night
David_W
Rising Star

I don't drink, never have really except for the occasional pint or two, although two is my self imposed limit (one guy got unhappy at me over that when I refused to drink the third pint he bought me).  I can't really see this measure (no pun intended) doing much though, a triple measure of Bells is 2.8 units, so the minimum price for that would be £1.12 in a pub, 10 pints of Stella is 27.3 units so a minimum cost of £10.92.  It will affect cheap booze from super markets I suppose, but unless alcopops are less than 50p per bottle it won't have much of an effect.
Community Veteran

I'm lucky to still have some wine left from my trip to France in December.  May have to make another visit Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Edit: A quick Google tells me home brewing for domestic consumption is exempt. Smiley

That's correct you can make as much as you like for your own use. I Could be wrong but I think you can give as much as you want away without any problem. Whilst I know you are not likely to do that there would be nothing wrong with having friends around who arrived with sufficient food for everybody and you supplied the drinks free !
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  quote fixed ]

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Does the proposal explain where the extra money go?

The retailer and drink manufacturers keep the money.
The theory is people will drink less and so the drink manufacturers want compensation.
pin2011
Grafter

It won't make the slightest difference other than to line the treasury p[ockets.
I was at 'wine bar' last week on a family occasion and the price for a glass of the
lowest grad champagne was £4.95 and  there was no shortage of 'punters buying at this price.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So it doesn't sound like a new tax, and will only make the real cheapo drinks slightly more expensive. For now.
Trouble is, it'll be one of those things which will be implemented and they'll hope we'll forget about it in a few years time ('air passenger duty' and the 'congestion charge' spring to mind).
In a few years it'll be claimed it is working, but not as effective as they first thought. So we'll have the 'minimum charge' is to be increased to £2 per unit (for our own good of course)' Shocked