Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Millions go mad.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Millions go mad.

Millions of motorists are about to hit the roads this bank holiday weekend.

Are they mad, or just misguided?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Millions go mad.

Without them I suppose the coastal economies would falter alarmingly.

We were London bound yesterday afternoon (Thursday) on the M27 at around 3pmish. The Bournemouth (and other resorts) bound side just off the motorway was a solid mass of traffic (albeit moving if slowly).

If its like that on a Thursday afternoon, lord knows what its going to be like tomorrow..

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero

...... assuming of course they are all heading towards the coast! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman I think it's a fair assumption from @petlew that the majority would be coast bound.

You wouldn't have wanted to be Here yesterday. Motorists held up for hours because a woman wanted to jump from a bridge.

Minivanman
Hero

Coast bound maybe but will they ever get there, and if they do will they be a) able to park b) be able to afford to park and c) be able to find a space on the beach away from rubbish, dog poo, broken glass, other peoples little tykes, and buried  'disposable' nappies. Oh, and will the tide be in or half a mile away across pebbles and mud.

Me? I'm staying at home with a cold beer and feet up in my little garden. Heaven.

PS. Only ten miles from the coast from where we live, so no rush to join the rush. Just wait for midweek, or until the workers go back to work and the tykes go back to school. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman   Same here..

@petlew The end of the M27 at Cadnam is a renowned bottleneck,   where three lanes of 70mph traffic suddenly have to resort to 2 lanes,... the left one, being clogged with HGV and "shed draggers" ( caravans) struggling to get up the hill.... ( should have made the motorway a couple of miles longer..

Then you have "Ringwood"... another area  of renowned bottleneck traffic...

After that, you have two choices,... Bournemouth bound... I think there is still major roadworks on the approach road dual carriageway... causing congestion , even on "normal days".. or you go towards Wimborne, and around Canford Bottom... again a notorious bottleneck... 

Been there,... done that... staying at home with a few beers, and the forum... !   Cheesy.

Minivanman
Hero

My 'favorite' was getting back into Wales last week and having to wait nearly an hour at the Severn Bridge..... and then they have the cheek to charge us for the privilege. Bloody toll charges, even after all these years but still, look on the bright side - at least it's free to get into England!

Community Veteran

@Minivanman they should charge double to cross into England Smiley

It seems like you only pay in one direction which makes a lot of sense. I never understand the logic of charging both ways. In the main drivers tend to be evenly distributed in both directions.

I saw this one way charge working very efficiently in San Francisco many years ago. I put it to the MofT to consider for the Dartford Crossing. They were concerned that drivers would avoid the one way charge by driving up to the Blackwall Tunnel and crossing for free. They didn't consider the cost of the extra fuel and time needed Roll eyes

Fixes: 47

I remember a trip to the coast a few years back.

There was a bottleneck in a small village we had to pass through and it took us more than an hour to cover the 1 mile of road through the village.

Halfway through we slowly passed a motor cycle policeman parked at the side of the road with a speed gun on a tripod.

I'm guessing he didn't have a very profitable day.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

I'll be in the sky rather than the road Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Minivanman
Hero

You have your own helicopter? Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

I'm guessing he was also a local Councillor!

Fixes: 105

of course, doesn't everyone ? Roll eyes 

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's a bank holiday weekend? Hmm, must have missed that memo... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

UK only except Scotland Cool smiley