cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milk Prices

Community Veteran

Milk Prices

With milk being in the news, due to the farmers getting so little return from their produce, I've been expecting the prices to rise.
But prices down here are dropping with four pints @ 98p and two litres @ 85p. When a week ago they were both a pound.
I can't see any logic in the price drop unless the supermarkets in question are reducing their share of the profit in advance of any naming and shaming.
All this proves is that the farmers could have a bigger share of the profits without the price going up.
21 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Milk Prices

Quote from: billnotben
four pints @ 98p

Shocked I've just bought 2 x 6 pint at £1.74 each which equates to £1.16 for 4 pints........from Tesco Embarrassed I really do need to get a MAC from Tesco and migrate to Lidl or the like.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

With milk being in the news the supermarkets could even be using it as a loss leader.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
I've just bought 2 x 6 pint at £1.74 each which equates to £1.16 for 4 pints........from Tesco

Do they price match Asda? Asda is currently selling 4 pints for £1, 6 pints for £1.48.
Community Veteran

Mine were from Aldi's and Farmfoods. No real surprise that Aldi is 98p as I think they should be cheaper because, standing in their car park, the milk processor is ten yards away. But knowing how things work in this country they probably buy theirs from hundreds of miles away.
Maybe there is a direct relationship between Olympic gold medals and the price of milk? Is milk rated as a good athletic type drink?

Quote from: alanf
Do they price match Asda?

I've just discovered this site https://www.tescopricepromise.com/Pricepromise/Pages/StoreCompare/Default.aspx and I've put in receipt details etc and will see what happens Smiley
Fixes: 125

Thanks for the link, Shutter.
Spent just under 85 squid in Tesco last week so will be interested in the result although I expect it to tell me they were cheaper than ASDA, Sainsbury's or Morrisons.
It wouldn't be easy to contest the result without a lot of hassle - would it? Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This site is good for comparing prices at major supermarkets. (It's the one whose data ASDA uses to deliver its price promise)
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

I got my £1.02 result from Tesco using the link I supplied above Smiley I now have a coupon to take next time I shop.
See attached screen shot Smiley
Mav...go for it.
Community Veteran

Good result.  It possibly shows ASDA is right about being the cheapest.
On a few occasions when I've used the site ASDA has been cheaper but only by a few pence and not worth the cost of printing the voucher.

Every little helps Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: alanf
This site is good for comparing prices at major supermarkets. (It's the one whose data ASDA uses to deliver its price promise)
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

No good for me...... doesn`t show Morrisions as one of the supermarkets.... so not really a "comparison" site..... just a few "more select" selection of.... type site....  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How much does a cow cost ? (no jokes please)
How many pints of milk do they produce per day ?
Do they just eat grass ?
How many Sq mtrs would one cow need ?
You can see I am thinking of going into business, any spare fresh milk sold to the neighbours !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Somehow I just can`t get used to the picture in my mind  Grin
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Strat
Mav...go for it.

I did and not as lucky as you Sad
I would guess that around 70% of my shopping list had N/A next to the items Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still