cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midnight caller

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Midnight caller

Started getting VERY annoying silent "International" calls in the night now. Drives me nuts. BT say there's nowt they can do about it.
Anyone else suffering?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Midnight caller

Leave the phone off the hook after you go to bed  Sad
Community Veteran

Caught my interest there, I thought it was something about our very own Forum contributor! We do suffer from International calls, but fortunately we haven't had any at night so far (crosses fingers).
Seeing that they're international and not answering doesn't help if they've already woken you up.
The funniest one I've had was an international call from someone saying that they were calling from BT. When I asked where they were they said "Cardiff". I politely said, "So you're calling from BT, and calling from Cardiff, but hadn't checked that I'm on the BT caller preference scheme, and more more importantly, why does your number show up as international?" .  The caller's response was to call me a foul name, related to an Anglo Saxon term for fornicating, and he hung up.  Undecided
John
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Leave the phone off the hook after you go to bed  Sad

Then you get a very loud siren tone after a few minutes !
Better to unplug from the socket, and leave the unplugging really obvious, or have a standard "Phone is unplugged" card visible.
Or silent ring, if you don't have an answerphone connected !
Fixes: 123

While they're good suggestions they won't help in instances where having the phone at night might be essential if, for example, you have elderly relatives or someone else who needs to contact you urgently.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Two phones is one answer.
In addition to my PN line, which I very rarely use, I have 3 mobiles I use for different purposes.
One for family & friends, one for others (number withheld but given out) , and one for outgoing calls (number withheld).
Obviously I can switch them off as required, the outgoing mobile is off most of the time.
Simplest solution is probably unplug phone at night, and have mobile on for family.

Similar thread has mentioned a call blocker, but it's £100.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4