Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave bed warmers - opinions?

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Microwave bed warmers - opinions?

One of our hot water bottles has expired, and I was thinking of trying one of those new-fangled microwave versions.
Any gotchas or things to consider, or are they all much of a muchness?
Not young enough to know everything
16 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Microwave bed warmers - opinions?

Read this before deciding.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There are a lot of extremely varied views on the Amazon web site: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=microwave+hot+bottles&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7...
Bit of a love'm or hate'm it seems...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It was only quite recently my old Mum's stone bottle surfaced. The cork stopper washer has perished. But is otherwise quite serviceable.
My ex-wife always said; a shared hot water bottle is one of those nice romantic parts of marriage...nuff said!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Petlew
It was only quite recently my old Mum's stone bottle surfaced.
I remember them - showing age  Cry
Community Veteran

Many of these do not have flammable fillings but it is all too easy to overcook them in modern powerfull ovens nevert the less. The elderly are generally not well founded into safe, exact microwave operation. The use of aroma therapy seems to be most unwise.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Petlew
It was only quite recently my old Mum's stone bottle surfaced.

I had an iron shelf out of the Yorkshire Range oven wrapped in a blanket Cool
Microwave bed warmers sound a bit iffy to me but these are probably extreme cases.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: colintivy
The elderly are generally not well founded into safe, exact microwave operation.

Absolutely right. Many simply don't believe timings in seconds will do the job and promptly add 10 minutes of their own.
In my early days with Hoover Ltd; some microwave ovens were sent over from the US for evaluation. They were in their infancy here then but were fairly well known in the states. They were extremely low power by today's standards but were still capable of causing extremely high temperatures in any liquid if left heating for too long.
And, heating continues in the medium being heated after the machine is switched off. This is most noticeable in gel type mediums. Hence the instruction for "waiting" time given in most microwave recipes.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Many thanks for all the comments.
Looks like the wheat, gel etc are ones to avoid. I'll experiment carefully with a plain water type and a microwave that can be timed to the second.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

i find it odd that in these days of central heating one would need such an article as a hot water bottle.  my bed has duvets under and over and is toasty warm the moment i 'hit the hay'.
JamesM
Grafter

Electric blanket all the way.
Although when I was about 15 I was sat in bed lisrening to music and I could smell burning, I lifted my quilt cover and the electric blanket had burnt a hole in my matress and quilt cover, right where the lead joins the blanket. Apart from that though electric blankets are great.  Cool
Community Veteran

Not sure I want to lie in a bed all night that has been eradicated by microwaves - all sorts of potential health issues there i suspect.
I worked with radio waves a lot of my life and have begun to wonder if that is the cause of my little problem.
Mal
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

That's the problem with modern yoof nowadays. They haven't experienced ice on the inside of their bedroom window.  Central heating indeed!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
James
Grafter

That's the problem with modern yoof nowadays. They haven't experienced ice on the inside of their bedroom window.

I have! At my last house my window didn't close properly.  Winter was horrible and our landlord was rubbish Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Well if you will live in an old castle what do you expect  Grin Grin