cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft warns on Vista update

Community Veteran

Microsoft warns on Vista update

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7205059.stm
Microsoft is warning Windows Vista users that a forthcoming service pack for the operating system may stop some [more] third-party programs working.

Notice I have corrected the quote given Wink
[Some of the] PROGRAMS HIT BY SP1
BitDefender AV
Fujitsu Shock Sensor
Jiangmin KV Antivirus 10
Jiangmin KV Antivirus 2008
Trend Micro Internet Security
Zone Alarm Security Suite
Iron Speed Designer
Xheo Licensing
Free Allegiance
NYT Reader
Rising Personal Firewall
Novell ZCM Agent
Interesting that MS state this SP enhances security when in fact it clearly reduces it by stopping well known security programs from working... AGAIN!
You really have to laugh  Huh Huh Huh
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Microsoft warns on Vista update

Personally, I think the best Microsoft news story of recent times is that Windows Home Server has a habit of corrupting virtually anything saved to it.
chino
Grafter

As SP1 does not come out for another week or so for everyone then hopefully the companies will have a patch before its out!
Community Veteran

They have been developing SP1 since before Vista was released so you would have thought they would have it right by now. It has been trashing PCs ever since it was first released in Beta. They have also withdrawn an pre-requisite patch for SP1 due to it trashing systems - linky.
It has already been released for business/ commercial users and on MSDN.
This SP1 has had by far the worse set of beta trials of any service pack for Windows OSs I have known and should not be installed when it is first released. Let others find the faults first!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just so I don't worry - do I need to turn off automatic updates or will it be by opt in only
Community Veteran

I'm not sure if the update will be automatic if you have windows update set to install automatically.
I normally have windows update set to download and inform but not install so I can manually select which updates to install.
Community Veteran

I have just changed mine to notify but not download as I don't want a 45MB download happening automatically
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi Jim,  I have just re-set my downloads to "download and let me decide"....... Will this SP1 be listed as SP1, or will it have the ubiquitous KB number?  In other words how we indentify it when it is downloaded, so we can "not" install it?
Huh
Community Veteran

I don't know how they will describe it but with the option I have selected I can find out the details before accepting the download.
Community Veteran

I suppose that it will show the size as around 45mb or something equally large, perhaps that will identify it sufficiently from all the other "little" updates? Would you agree? Smiley
Community Veteran

You can add a 0 to that size.
The stand alone version is 550MBytes so the downloadable one via windows update will be in the same ballpark I suspect.
Due to its size, it may not be an automatic download. I think XP SP1 & SP2 you had to specifically select it for update by running windows update manually.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the correction  Roll eyes  with luck, it will be even easier to identify with those numbers !.... I await the next lot of "updates" with trepidation  Sad
Community Veteran

Peter,
Remember this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,61376.msg497487.html#msg497487 and the link I included http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=681
How big is the service pack going to be?
Big. Very big. For the beta release, you’ll need 7GB of free disk space to install the x86 version and 12GB of free disk space for the x64 package. (Most of this space is for temporary files and for the Vista image-based installer.) For home users with a reliable Internet connection, Microsoft plans to offer an Express update option that should require only a 50MB download; the stand-alone installer, which includes support for all languages and all Vista editions, checks in at a hefty 1GB
Taken from here http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=291
Community Veteran

Here is a copy and paste bit from the zdnet  site jim posted above..

While the final size of Vista SP1 is roughly what Microsoft told testers it was likely to be (45 MB planned, vs. 50 MB actual), this is the size of the SP as it will be delivered via Windows Update and Windows Software Update Services (WSUS) only. Standalone SP1 will be 1 GB for x86 systems. (See my ZDNet blogging colleague Ed Bott’s post for more on this point.)
unquote
so it seems it is 45mb and not 450 mb......
Thanks jim for the link...
Community Veteran

The bit that horrifies me is that with a 64 bit system I will need 12GB of free disk space - fortunately not a problem because I made the Vista partition 100GB but it could be a nuisance for people who believed the quoted recommended minimum disk space.