Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft to do a U-Turn over Windows 8

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Microsoft to do a U-Turn over Windows 8

More here:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4918683/Microsoft-in-U-turn-over-new-Windows.html
It seems that Microsoft have finally started listening to the many people who don't like Windows 8. Rumour has it that they will be reviving the start button again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Microsoft to do a U-Turn over Windows 8

I'm in the market for a new laptop - I've been hovering on the Dell outlet site and nearly bought one the other day but it had Windows 8 on it.
I understand Win8 Pro can be downgraded to Win7 free of charge but I'm not buying anything that will mean I've paid for Win8
shalom2010
Grafter

From what I've read the above is only a possibility - the other 'maybe'  is a start icon or button that just takes you to the Start Tiles!!
Razer
Grafter

Wasn't this said (and posted) some time ago and nothing happened?
DaveyH
Pro

Not bringing back the start button, but the start  menu and a boot to desktop mode iirrc. But 'Modern UI' is here to stay.
Community Veteran

I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one.
They thought, quite rightly, that they were losing the market share because of all the tablets/touch screen devices. What I think they should have done is just brought out a special version of windows 7 (or whatever) specifically updated for those devices.
It must be a shock to their execs that despite the size of their company they are still consumer led. Something that even Apple are finding out.  
When it comes to PC's and Laptops most people want a productive device not a consumer device.
shalom2010
Grafter

"most people want a productive device" - it is with Start8 (offers start & boot to the desktop)
Have a look here - http://www.neowin.net/news/two-windows-8-start-menu-apps-bring-in-8-million-total-downloads
Community Veteran

But after you've handed over all that money to microsoft should you have to get out the wallet again in an effort to make the OS into some thing it should already be?
This is why sales are falling.
Community Veteran

Having seen a few glimpses of W8, it doesn't appeal to me and I can understand why people would want to downgrade to W7. IMO W7 is a very good OS - better than XP for stability and thats just home premium!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: billnotben
But after you've handed over all that money to microsoft should you have to get out the wallet again in an effort to make the OS into some thing it should already be?
Start 8 isn't the only option. classic shell is a free alternative
This is why sales are falling.

W8  maybe to blame in enterprise.
I suspect not in the consumer sector though, PC sales are declining in general.
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
classic shell is a free alternative

Yes that one has been around for a long time, since Vista days. You can even make Windows 7 look like Windows 7. A slower Windows 7.
Quote from: DaveyH
PC sales are declining in general

If PC manufacturers are to be believed it's because people are put off buying a new PC solely because of Windows 8.
Community Veteran

Poor commercial decision by MS.
How many people would be prepared to change their monitor too?  Shocked
Windows 8 = Vista #2  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

A slower Windows 7.
  Undecided
Don't think so. Windows 8 is most definitely faster and better (under the hood) than Windows 7.
With Classic Shell or equivalent tools it runs very quickly indeed and with less memory.
I've run it on some very old and slow systems with excellent results.
If they'd taken all the genuine improvements in 8 and then given users a genuine choice of interface (legacy W7 or tiles) then it would have been great.  Cry
Razer
Grafter

You can even make Windows 7 look like Windows 7. A slower Windows 7.

Grin
If PC manufacturers are to be believed it's because people are put off buying a new PC solely because of Windows 8.

I would believe it. It's enough to put me off.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Sprite
More here:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4918683/Microsoft-in-U-turn-over-new-Windows.html

The "Head of Marketing" looks like it could do with some refurbishment too.  Cheesy