cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft to Hand Over Email Addresses

Community Veteran

Microsoft to Hand Over Email Addresses

Microsoft has been ordered to hand over email addresses in defiance of EU privacy laws.
Microsoft
A ruling that can have far reaching consequences.
14 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Microsoft to Hand Over Email Addresses

Going to cause major business headaches for US Centric Cloud Computing?  If the "Safe Harbour"  provisions become Null and Void the Corporate data becomes extremely vulnerable.

M
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is why Microsoft have immediately appealed and the judgement has been suspended subject to the appeal http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/31/microsoft_overseas_data_ruling/
Steve
Seasoned Pro

To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind Judge Preska's private email address to give her a peace of my mind...Who's with me? I'm sure she wouldn't mind...right? Lips are sealed
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: M
I wouldn't mind Judge Preska's private email address

A Judge who knows how to use a computer? That's insane. But they do know how to grandstand for Fox News.
From The Register

"Following a two-hour hearing before the US District Court for the Southern District of New York on Thursday, District Judge Loretta Preska ruled that a US warrant ordering Microsoft to hand over its customers' emails and other data was valid, even though the data in question was stored on servers in Dublin, Ireland."

I suggest Dublin summons the US Ambassidor to explain to the Taoiseach ( Irish PM ) exactly why an insignificant district court house in New York has jurisdication over data held in Ireland and the EU?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
I suggest Dublin summons the US Ambassidor to explain to the Taoiseach ( Irish PM ) exactly why an insignificant district court house in New York has jurisdication over data held in Ireland and the EU?

It doesn't but it does have jurisdiction over an American company Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Microsoft are welcome to hand over all my emails if they can get them as I have never used outlook or any Microsoft product to send emails.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
[Snp] far reaching consequences.

Me thinks that this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It is worse than that
Any US company offering cloud based storage or web based email system will have the same problem which is why I think that it will be squashed
This would potentially include Google, Apple and a lot of others
Community Veteran

Slightly at a tangent.
Did anyone else find the recent headlines about Russia's new stance on social media just a bit hypocritical?
Like "Internet companies will also be required to allow Russian authorities access to users' information."
Like when Russia does it "human rights group called the move "draconian".
But when our government does it it's necessary in the fight against terrorism.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
It is worse than that
Any US company offering cloud based storage or web based email system will have the same problem which is why I think that it will be squashed
This would potentially include Google, Apple and a lot of others

It seems logical that if they can get away with it with Microsoft other companies will also have to comply.
It will be interesting to see how the appeal goes Wink
nanotm
Pro

if they can do it without acquiring the proper warrants from the relevant national authority then it will be the end of cloud services, because once one country starts all the others will follow the same line and nowhere will be safe from such overreatch, something that will also mean an end to globalisation for a lot of companies 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Under America's Patriot Act, data hosted by US companies anywhere on this and any other planet, can be accessed by entities from a federal agency to some anonymous private security contractor -> provided there is a national security interest. Created by Bush and pals in the post 911 hysteria, the Patriot Act permits amongst other things, data mining without oversight or even probable cause. The implication is, if your ISP is owned by an American parent company, data may subject to unfettered access, even if that data has always been held on the outskirts of Manchester or Dublin. As you say, with Cloud computing the issue of data ownership and data jurisdiction becomes even an even darker arena. Microsoft may have taken on a losing fight.
If in doubt, use a typewriter.
nanotm
Pro

if I cared about some govt organisation seeing it, it wouldn't be on t'interwebnetz if there that keen on viewing my shopping bill and looking at all that strange viaga /shoe shop spam there welcome to it Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

My grasp of the english language is so poor the Mericans wouldn't be able to understand any messages I sent. Roll eyes
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.