cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft's Windows 10 "Nasty Trick", a link worth reading.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Microsoft's Windows 10 "Nasty Trick", a link worth reading.

Read this this morning on the BBC site so if you don't want to upgrade to Windows best to read it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Microsoft's Windows 10 "Nasty Trick", a link worth reading.

It's sneaky tricks like this which led me to chose Chromebook over a Windows Laptop. Not to mention the low cost, instant starting, light weight and ability to remotely control access to the devices.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@AlaricAdair - My Brother-in-Law swears by Chrome he's a bit of a fan boy it has to be said. But by coincidence I upgraded a VM to Windows 10, and it was so painless I had to admit to being impressed that it didn't crash during the process. What I have noticed is that when I power on the VM using Parallels on the Mac the OS is ready to log in to in about 7 seconds so it's no slouch.

As regards it's day to day use I can't really comment not having had it long enough but one thing I do like is that DOS console windows are resizeable and that for me is a serious bonus. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Aw! C`mon fellas.... there is some GOOD NEWS FROM MICROSOFT in that report.... and I quote..

"  Microsoft said: "........... the free Windows 10 upgrade offer ending on 29 July,........................."      "

But will that mean there won`t be any more "nag" screens about downgrading to Windows 10  ? ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

"Vee have ways of FORCING you to upgrade" ;-)

Whether the nags will disappear after the 29th or it will be a FORCED upgrade then is anybodys guess.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Just goes to show how desperate the cia has become to know everything about everyone. Trouble is Google / chrome is the same too.

I'm sticking with 7 as I don't want to be forced over to Linux even though that's now known as Android lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
vanessen
Rising Star

I had the experience too (of an upgrade suddenly starting when I turned on the computer, though I had not aurthoised it).  It would seem that I had failed to positively opt-out of the suggested date, just closed the box.  Very nasty indeed.

And what was the result?  4 hours later I had a Win 10 machine BUT since then, and it is a few days ago, I cannot connect to the internet!  Previously I had a perfectly-working Win 7 machine and was happy. 

There is a whole set of Forums on various Microsoft and related sites about this network/internet problem, which comes and goes randomly.  See for example Microsoft's own site suggesting various approaches:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

I have worked through all the suggested 'fixes' but still have the problem.  Luckily my wife was not caught by this Microsoft trick so I am able to use her (Win 7) machine to send this.

I know many people have 'upgraded' without problems but my experience is quite common, it seems.  I am seriously considering going back to Win7 (but would that be problem-free) or just ditching Windows and going Apple.

Be warned!

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

I accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 several months back, had my PC on and fell asleep before I could postpone the upgrade. However I'm really liking it and have actually purchased a full copy (rather than a Win 7 upgrade) since then. Everything I use on it has worked well and it's faster for me than 7 was.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

MS have done a U turn on this now

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/93122-microsoft-u-turn-tricky-windows-10-upgrade-popup/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

With the tricky behaviour public and reported on site like the BBC, Microsoft seems to have had a change of heart. Today Microsoft said that due to the customer feedback it had received it will add another notification after users try and get rid of the dialogue

So could someone please tell me two things:

1) How do MS intend to add things to peoples computers?

2) How come i never got this upgrade dialogue?

Is it because they are added via windows updates? (I never bother which may explain #2). Just wondering if i have something nasty i need to check somewhere to stop an auto upgrade - the missus uses this machine and could have easily dismissed it without thinking about it!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having read that linky... tucked away near the end, was a "mild" threat, that the writer would be using BeOS if MS did not stop "spamming" him, with adverts fro products he already has..

Being nosey... I googled BeOS, and apparently it has been discontinued after being bought out by PALM... but since then a "new" version called HAIKU, has been developed, ( and is still in development) from what I read on WIKI...

Has anyone used either BeOS or HAIKU ?

https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's not the first time I've experienced their sneak tactics, had to manually run the updates (I keep them turned off) on one of my computers, specifically my IP cam recorder, did the updates it needed, and I'd assumed the manual aspect of updating would have continued as it always had done, not so, "an update" in amongst the updates had turned on auto-updates, without permission, and funnily enough, the "Install windows 10 today!!" nonsense was installed, I'd intentionally denied that from installing, and put it in the hidden updates thing to prevent it installing, but "an update" that presumably turned on the auto-updates un-hid it and downloaded the win10 virus one night, without permission, thankfully I spotted it before they ramped up their efforts to force win10 onto people and removed it, disabled auto-updates again, and so far so good...

But turning the Close button into a "Yes, I accept the installer agreement, please install an OS nobody in their right mind wants" is just filthy of them, and makes me even more suspicious of why they insist everyone upgrade to windows 10 (only they know the answer)... Roll eyes

ExtremeZero
Grafter

I'm surprised that a company such as Microsoft had used such a underlying trick. It's not like they have ever been desperate or exploitive before, ever.

I mean one can preety much install Windows 10 and then install Windows 7 in a seperate partition I Imagine.

@rongtw that's not a surprise considering it blew up very quickly and big enough for people to notice.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@shutter I did try BeOS many many moons ago. Bit like a cross between M$ & apple. To far out of the normal for my usage from what I remember of it. It was a spin off of another way out OS from what I remember of it. Think design over user in every way, maybe the way Ikea would design an OS ;-).