Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Microsoft dubs Windows Phone 7 'ad serving machine'

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Microsoft dubs Windows Phone 7 'ad serving machine'"]
Mobile OS to spew out-of-app ads
Microsoft is positioning its upcoming Windows Phone 7 smartphone OS, planned for release this October, as an "ad-serving machine."
That's how Microsoft exec Kostas Mallios described the OS to an audience that could be expected to approve of Windows Phone 7's taking a starring role in the mobile-advertising firmament: attendees at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival.
Microsoft's smartphone OS will provide advertisers with three levels of ad-serving "opportunities" in addition to standard browser-based ads, and in a radical departure from the tacks taken by either Apple's app-based iAds, scheduled to launch next Thursday, or Google's browser-centric world, two of Windows Phone 7's ad-delivery systems will enable ads to be sent outside of either apps or the browser.

When are these idiots going to get the message, we do not want to be monetorised or force fed adverts on our equipment.  Microsoft, get the bloody message, we do not want advert infested mobiles
If Microsoft think I will pay money for a spam machine, to make it convenient for crooked spammers to spam ads to me?  Why on earth do they imagine I would buy, let alone carry,  a device to make it easier to be spammed?  I won't touch one, whos going to pay for the extra band with that the ads use up spamming you 24/7 ?
Spamtastic fail.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Microsoft dubs Windows Phone 7 'ad serving machine'

nice commentary midnight.  perhaps microsoft doing its best to commit suicide?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I'm not sure which would be more intrusive, owning an advert serving phone, or living in California if this happens -
California is weighing whether to allow advert-broadcasting digital number plates on vehicles, in a bid to raise revenue for the cash-strapped state.

At least one firm, in San Francisco, is developing an electronic number plate that would scroll adverts while a car is stopped at lights and in congestion.

See whole article here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/us_and_canada/10368899.stm
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@purleigh, That idea is nuts, anyone for a crash!
Plus it will inhibit the Police's Automatic Number License Plate Recognition (ANPR).
Lurker
Grafter

I don't see how you can crash if you are stopped.
Read the post...
Vehicle must be stopped for more than 4 seconds before ad will play.
*sigh*
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

The car from behind or a car from the other side of the rode could be distracted by it, what could cores a crash!
Lurker
Grafter

Surely the cause of crash would be that the driver wasn't paying attention then?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Yep.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The original post on this thread, won`t worry me in the least....
I use my phone to make phone calls......
If the "gadget geeks" want to do other things with their phones, then they must expect to be bombarded/conned by the superpowers that tell them that they "must have" this or that on their phone, otherwise they will be "missing out"....
what you don`t have.... you don`t miss.... ................................. you only miss it, when you had it.... and when you don`t have it,.............. any more.!  Cheesy
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Your not getting the point it does not matter that you just will be using your Phone as a Phone if you get a Windows Phone 7 Mobil you will get adds
Steve
Pro

I think Shutter get's the point.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

YAY ! Steve..  too right I got the point........ my phone "only" makes phone calls, (and sends/receives the very occ txt msg)...
(Like if I have a computer.... and I don`t use it on the internet..... hardly likely to worry about getting a virus am I.......  Cheesy)
Steve
Pro

My thought's entirely, You probably think the way i do about mobile phones, They recieve and make call's and send/recieve text's, No matter the technology this is what matter's most to us as a phone... regardless how the Geeks dress it up!! Cheesy