Microsoft developing PC for older people

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Microsoft developing PC for older people

26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Microsoft developing PC for older people

I don't necessarily think they need to address themselves to "senior citizens" many of whom are quite computer literate. it's the young, school leavers etc. who seem to know little about them apart from how to use the on/off button who could use this facility.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You have got it all wrong, computers are for playing games, aren't they, so all schools leavers know how to move the gun and pull the trigger  
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Is the £1-50 per week to pay for all that unnecessary M$ software?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

If I was that desperate, I can go to my local library and use one of their 10 free internet linked computers  Cool Roll eyes
Denzil
Grafter

They are going to refurbish old PCs and then install the "latest Microsoft software". So they will be installing Vista on an old PC? How well is that going to run, then? Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

...unless they refurbish with a new Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Graphics etc... Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think that General Motors would be interested in that idea......
Refurbish old cars for old people to drive..... now that`s really something else. ! Grin  Cheesy  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Or Bt to refurbish old phone systems for Shutter    Crazy
nadger
Rising Star

Thinks - will I be nipping thro' the customs post, on the MK/Beds border, to get one of these  Undecided
Methinks the answer is obvious Huh
I'm all for cheap computers but there are far better sources. About 7 months ago I bought a Thinkpad T41 with 1.6 Pentium M and 512Mb ram for £160 from a reputable source ( company I'd used before) - it came with legal OEM copy of XP Pro that I've just upgraded to SP3.
Can't really see someone on benefits paying £1.50/week for a computer when, as has been said, they could go to library for free.
All for cheap cars - bought my Kia on eBay  Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

Refurbish old cars for old people to drive.....

Umm! Ferrari Dino, Aston Martin DB5, Lotus Espirit, Bentley Continental and others...yeah! bring'm on...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

What's the betting that this 'new' easy computer for older people will be at least a third more expensive than an average one?
I recently checked out a 'simple' mobile telephone that is designed purely for older people and/or those with hearing/vision problems and the price was ridiculuous - a real rip off.  We ended up buying a Samsung with similar features for less than half the price.
I also can't understand why the powers-that-be seem to think that absolutely everyone must have a computer. Agreed, it is handy and often entertaining but hardly essential.
Personally, I think that it is just a money-making ploy.
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Darn it! Are MS going to make me sell my Dell and downgrade?? Just as I have learned how to send emails [print them off and put them in the mail]!!!!
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy

What's the betting that this 'new' easy computer for older people will be at least a third more expensive than an average one?

Ah, you see, the bean counters are fully aware, the section of the buying public with any money to spend are Senior Citizens. My guess is that these "old people" friendly computers will be not much different from standard computers, the difference will be in how the marketing departments present them. But rest assured they will certainly be more expensive.

geewizz
Grafter

Grin
PGRGrandad, you've made my day with that one.
I'm looking forward to hearing about you doing screendumps by balancing the monitor on the scanner.