cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft confirms takeover of Skype

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Microsoft confirms takeover of Skype

Microsoft has confirmed that it has agreed to buy internet phone service Skype.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13343600

I'm just speechless, disappointed, and saddened, that yet another great company is coming under Microsoft's dictatorial grasp !  Cry
11 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Microsoft confirms takeover of Skype

Better Microsoft than FaceBook
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Does this mean that Skype might become 'Windows Only'?
Microsoft doesn't exactly have an interest in supporting Linux versions of its software or systems, I do hope I am not being a 'prophet of doom' on this subject.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

It doesn't matter - the touch of M$ turns everything to dust.
M$ already have VOIP products, so why buy Skype - unless it's for the address listHuh
Maybe M$ want to put Skype into their Nokia phone tie-up?
Nokia will love that.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Midnight
Better Microsoft than FaceBook

@MC agree with you there.
Wonder why there is so much interest in Dot.com companies recently Skype (IMO overvalued) an IPO for LinkedIn, possible IPO for facebook.
Are memories so short?
Community Veteran

MS are worried about google phone and this will allow them to compete. Google phone is catching on in the US and also in Europe where it is available so I guess MS feel they have to respond.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about with skype. People keep banging on about how great it is as its free phone calls etc. In reality it is an instant messenger with the same features as MSN, yahoo etc.
Oh yeah.. it can ring phones.. IF YOU BUY CREDIT OR HAVE A CONTRACT! It isn't really a way of ringing phones for free at all (unless you're using its IM software on your smart phone). It never has been it was just a clever way of advertising it. Just like Dyson.. the vacuum that never looses suction.. until the filter becomes dirty and needs cleaning out  - just like any normal vacuumRoll eyes
I can't help but wonder how unstable it will become with MS at the helm though.. I reckon the new key combination will become CTRL ALT END Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

The last thing that Microsoft did that directly affected me was when they recently took over 'multimap.co.uk'.    Cry
I was previously using MultiMap several times a day, and had done so for years, then one day the MultiMap maps were replaced with Microsoft 'bing' maps.  Angry
Now the search facility fails more times that not, or often insists on showing me a similarly named place in the USA rather that the correctly spelt English place name I was looking for, and rather than being a quick, accurate and slick mapping tool, it is now just so frustrating to do what I want that I have now moved over to 'streetmap.co.uk' which works better for me - but is still not as good as MultiMap once was !.  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I never knew they took over multimap - that would explain why i noticed a worse service last time i used them ages ago.
I used to like google maps but since they've overloaded their page with javascript its become painfully slow to move about and zoom in or out.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Heloman
Grafter

Coming soon to a Microsoft store near you:
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1540.html
Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a (little used) Skype account. This morning an update for Skype, that added completely unbidden by me a toolbar to Firefox. Fortunately, it was easy to disable. But I'd rather have been asked first...
And anyway, whats a Microsoft controlled ap (now) doing adding on to Mozilla Firefox. Does this mean Mozilla is next for MS?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You have malware.