cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone Technique

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Microphone Technique

It really annoys me, when I see, so called, artistes, shoving a highly technical piece of equipment into their face as they try to sing. !...
Most of the time, the size of the "padding" around the mic head, (used to dampen the power of the sound of the voice, due to close proximity). blocks out most of the face of the artiste. which is a shame, as most of the ladies, are really good looking wimmen !.  They probably think, they need to hold the mic so close, because they won`t be heard at the back of the hall !.. erm... why hasn`t someone taught them proper microphone technique, and to sing naturally, with the mic held away from the face....
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Microphone Technique

I think Alvin Stardust got it right Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Having spent a few years on a mixing desk I can say that the vocal level from a singer's mike drops rapidly as they move the mike away from their mouth.
In a live band situation the singer has the band's back-line to contend with and want to hear themselves on their wedge monitor but at the same time avoid feedback.
It all becomes a bit of a balancing act on the desk. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RichAllen
Grafter

Back in the 80s, hardly anyone sang "live" on TOTP, they all mimed.
And some "acts" still do, purely because the lead can't sing for toffee.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
It really annoys me, when I see, so called, artistes, shoving a highly technical piece of equipment into their face as they try to sing. !...
e, as most of the ladies, are really good looking wimmen !. 

I know what you mean Shutter.  You'd think someone would give the artistes some presentational tips. Then you could see and hear your wimmen Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: RichAllen
Back in the 80s, hardly anyone sang "live" on TOTP, they all mimed.
And some "acts" still do, purely because the lead can't sing for toffee.

I sincerely doubt that, TOTP was canned by the BBC a couple of years back  Roll eyes
adie:red remove part that no longer makes sense due to removed posts]
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

One of the "good lookin` wimmin" that I had in mind doe a pretty good job  ( and just look at the size of that audience !)...

Fixes: 104

mod:note
I have removed a series of posts that were getting into personal insults and making this thread unpleasant reading.
Play nicely please Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Back in the mid-sixties our vocalist in the group used a Shure 545 which at the time was considered the mic of choice, and was seen everywhere including TOTP. Our singer had a very powerful voice but had to practically swallow the mic with its "wind-sock" to get any performance from it. This was due to the limited cardioid response pattern (kidney shaped) and low impedance setting to avoid the worst of PA (public address) feed-back 
The same microphone is still produced today but is not now considered a vocalists microphone, more than likely used for percussion amplification, although good for harmonica.
You could easily tell if miming was going on (apart from guitars not plugged in and no amplifiers to be seen) as singers stood back from the microphones, more often than not in the sixties and seventies the same Shure 545's noted above.
As a matter of interest, if playing on a small (postage stamp) sized stage often found in pubs, a five piece group with three amp's, three or four mics on stands, a 100w PA with tall column speakers and other items such as echo units etc, a drummer who demanded and usually got half the stage. It could be an incredibly cluttered place with leads and cables everywhere, a veritable heath n safety nightmare.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

The singer in our group used a Sure SM58 'The Professionals Choice'
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

We seem  to have some talented people on the forum Cool

Where.....I didn't see them Wink