Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro USB charging cable

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Micro USB charging cable

Hi,
I need a Micro USB charging cable.  I ordered 3m micro usb of Amazon but it took nearly 24 hrs to charge my Asus t100, so that isn't worth anything.
Anyone have any ideas? As the supplied cable is less than a meter and is really inconvenient,
Can anyone recommend a micro USB that is roughly around 3 meters and charges as fast as the original Asus cable.
Many thanks
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Micro USB charging cable

Why not use an USB extender cable on your OTG cable ?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Tried but it ended up with same results as the replacement longer micro usb.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Seems to be a common problem. I've seen 2 suggestions that make sense:
1. A mains extension lead. That WILL work.  Wink (and you've probably got one already)
2. A USB3 extension lead. Different electrical characteristics (look it up).
Fixes: 47

I have a micro USB cable which has a tag on it with the words "Data Transfer Only".
It will allow charging of my S3 and an app shows a charging current of 999mA.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
WTF
Grafter

It might be the rating of the cable, though cables are not usually the issue: it's generally the charger they're plugged into.  Obviously, the longer the cable, the higher the resistance which could also be the issue if the charger is low rated to start with.
A lot of higher end devices these days use much more power for things like large screens than they did only a couple of years old.  In the past, a lot of chargers were rated at 0.5 to 1.0 Amps, these days most higher end kit requires at least 1.1A.  Check the rating of the charger that came with kit to see what it requires.  If you're using the longer cable, you could consider using a higher rated charger though there is a (relatively small) risk attached to doing that.  I'd certainly keep a close eye on the temperature of the device the first couple of times I tried it.
Lower rated chargers will still charge but they'll either take a lot longer or possibly won't be able to keep up with the rate the device is using power and hence only slow the drop.
Obviously, if you turn the device off, it will charge faster.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

often its down to cheap "data cables" being low grade and unable to carry the current required to charge the device,
I found spending a few extra quid on a data/charging cable works wonders
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi Strat and WTF.
Can you provide the details of the product you bought?
Would be grateful if you could
NE
Fixes: 47

Sorry NE but the cable was one of many bought at various times over 3 or 4 years.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation