cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michael Winner Dies

Community Veteran

Michael Winner Dies

Michael Winner has died aged 77.
He had been ill for some years as a result of an illness he contacted in the Caribbean.  
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Michael Winner Dies

More details here:
Michael Winner
Fixes: 105

Quote from: artmo
as a result of an illness he contacted in the Caribbean. 

how did he contact it? I'll try and avoid it Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

He had experienced a run of ill-health since eating a bad oyster on holiday in Barbados in 2007. He later picked up the E coli virus from a steak tartare, and was hospitalised eight times in the last few months of his life.
Community Veteran

Apparently he spent more time in the London Clinic than out of if since his illness. 
I always enjoyed his column in the Sunday Times.  He was always brutally honest with his comments on restaurants much to the annoyance of the owners.
He also set up the Police Memorial Trust to honour police officers killed whilst on duty.  Over 50 officers have been honoured by his trust.  He set up the trust after the death of Yvonne Fletcher outside the Libian embassy in London.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Michael Winner has died aged 77.
He had been ill for some years as a result of an illness he contacted in the Caribbean.  

Maybe he contacted the Grim Reaper whilst in the Caribbean.
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Grim_Reaper

He always was a bit of a Pie Rater for his Winners Dinners !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Never really struck on his column in the Sunday Times but certainly feel sorry for what he had to go through since eating that oyster.
Community Veteran

It's only an advert dear!
Sad, very sad.
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 47

Calm down dear it's only a funeral.
He made some great films and came across as very good and likeable man.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

People who knew him well spoke very highly of him.  His good friend Sir Michael Caine said this of him on 'This is Your Life'
Sir Michael Caine said of Michael Winner on This Is Your Life: “I am here to tell everybody, Michael, you are a complete and utter fraud. You come on like this bombastic, ill-tempered monster. It’s not the side of you I see. I see a man who has a tremendous artistic eye. You have an incredible legal brain. Before I even go to my own lawyer I talk to you first. You’re extremely funny, very sensitive, very kind and very generous. I hope everyone believes me when I say that you are a kind and wonderful person. And I’m not kidding.”

An interesting story was also told on LBC this evening.  When Rupert Murdoch appointed a new editor to one of his papers he would tell the editor it was his baby and he could do anything he wanted - except that he couldn't fire Michael Winner Smiley