cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michael Jackson has died.

Community Veteran

Michael Jackson has died.

The Los Angeles Times has just reported that Michael Jackson has died.
http://tinyurl.com/moa3ya
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: Michael Jackson has died.

Was just about to post this as well. BBC just did a special bulletin. Thanks for the PM by the way.
Edit: coverage on BBC News 24 now.
Community Veteran

Whatever the issues in his private life, he was a great singer.  His 'Thriller' album has to be one of the greatest of all time.
Community Veteran

His music was brilliant, he was a talented artist.
Community Veteran

Special report also on Sky News, but showing lots of old clips of MJ performances on News 24.
Community Veteran

This is the website that broke the news of Michael Jackson's death.
http://www.tmz.com/
Community Veteran

I'm in Canada and that website was declaring him dead long before the official confirmation.
Community Veteran

Yes it was.  In fairness the BBC gave credit to TMZ for being first for breaking the news.
Community Veteran

Like a lot of very talented people / or as some people called him a generous  - they tend to have some equally unique character straits.
He wasn't really to my taste - but he was most certainly a master showman and created some fine music.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not a fan of MJ.... Heard this in conversation at a bus stop this morning......
"I hear Michael Jackson is dead"
Yeah, I heard that too, but there seems to be some confusion, 
"what`s that then"
Well, nobody can remember what he looks like, so they`re not really sure if he DID die, or if he substituted a body, and disappeared.....
"well, that would be a good way of getting out of debt, especially with all the pre-sold tickets for his gigs"
The bus came along at that point, and the conversation changed to more mundane matters.
Community Veteran

I saw a headline this morning that said "The last part of Michael Jackson has died"
Community Veteran

I received a text last night asking what was the difference between Michael Jackson and Alex Ferguson.  Answer..... Ferguson will play giggs in August. 
(Sorry guys)
scootie
Grafter

right deleted as i dont think i can put in to words that a certain fat hedgehog would agree  wouldnt put me in court for being liable.
but will part this thread with just this
i hate the bloke an the message he sent out to the rich and famous
now lets see if  i can squeeze out the gate on my wat out  Grin
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Was a huge fan of his music growing up. Regardless of what he did/didn't get up to in his personal life, the guy was an entertainment legend and it can't be disputed that he's been a huge influence on the dance and music industry.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

I am wondering about the media now and the public reaction.
The people's king of pop?
Michael Jackson's death is not A Diana Moment. The public's craving for collective emotion leads only to false emotion

Despite the media's best attempts, and possibly many people's dearest wishes, the death of Michael Jackson is not – to use that now overworn phrase, A Diana Moment. The mass reaction to Jackson's death is making everyone look even weirder than when they were still leaving flowers for "our angel" outside Kensington Palace a month after Diana's death, to say nothing of the expression of media love to the once vilified Jade Goody.
Jackson's was not an unblemished life and this makes it tricky for the news channels and tweeting celebrities who long for nothing more than to bathe in the soapy, sudsy pleasure of hyperbolic adoration and eulogies. But anyone who watched the Martin Bashir 2003 documentary in which he talked about sharing a bed with 12-year-old cancer patient, Gavin Arvizo, is going to find this a little strange, if not dishonest. On one talkshow this morning, Anne Diamond claimed that "we should think about the good things about Michael, not the bad", which is, quite frankly, pretty impossible when looking at any photo of the increasingly disfigured singer.When Diana died, she was still – despite the unexpected alliance with the al-Fayed family – a beloved figure in the eyes of most people. Jackson has, outside the circle of his impressively devoted fans, never really claimed that mantle, despite his obvious need for love. Even at his high point in the 80s he was Wacko Jacko to the media, with his chimp and his oxygen tent, and for the past 15 years, ever since the first child abuse allegations from Jordy Chandler's family, whom he paid off with an estimated $20m, he has been a figure of freakishness.

Michael Jackson was a hugely talented individual – even more, dare one say it, than Diana. He also led an unquestionably sad and damaged life. But his death shows up, even more clearly than Goody's did, that the desire for collective emotion leads only to false emotion.

Guardian article by Hadley Freeman