cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michael Barrymore

Steve
Pro

Michael Barrymore

The papers destroyed his career and now it looks like ( as he predicted in tweets and on Youtube months ago ) his name might get cleared. But will he ever come back on National telly? in an interview I watched he said he wants too as being on stage is/was his ' home ' more importantly would you watch him? or is he tainted forever?

http://news.sky.com/story/michael-barrymore-entitled-to-damages-over-wrongful-arrest-10993643

Entertainer Michael Barrymore has won a high court compensation battle with Essex Police and could be awarded millions of pounds in compensation.

The entertainer, 64, had argued at the High Court the arrest had destroyed his career.

Another hearing will assess exactly how much money Barrymore with be paid but his team will press for an estimated £2.5m.

40 REPLIES
Champnet
Rising Star

Re: Michael Barrymore

His house, his party, his disappearance act. A cocktail of drink, drugs & sex.

Is this a good image of a family entertainer ?

No further comments.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

But anyone at that party could have been behind what happened. Did he even have full knowledge of who was there?

If he's been cleared then he should make a comeback. While i did find his behaviour a bit aggressive (like brian conley) he was very funny and a great entertainer.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Champnet wrote:

No further comments.....

His house yes, his party, yes, drink drugs etc possibly happens at other party's. According to Barrymore he never looked at himself as being a high profile figure and so partied with ' normal people ' he suspects this may of been where he went wrong. Rather than partying with other ' celebs ' 

"In doing so, the judge made it clear that there was no evidence linking Michael to the infliction of the injuries suffered by Mr Lubbock as Michael has always maintained.

"The judge found that the police had no reason to disbelieve him when he said that he had left the scene after the ambulance was called, not for any sinister reasons - but in order to avoid a media scrum.

"He had gone to a flat nearby and his personal assistant told the police where he was.The judge also found that he was always co-operative with the police by agreeing to be interviewed and providing statements whenever asked.

"The judge also roundly dismissed the alleged 'bad character' evidence relied on by the police calling it 'flimsy, one-sided and misleading' and not capable of being reasonably relied on by the police to support a decision to arrest him."

How much of the Tax payers money has Essex police spent on this?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Steve wrote:

Champnet wrote:

No further comments.....

How much of the Tax payers money has Essex police spent on this?

and there's Wiltshire police too with their investigation of Edward Heath. Whatever the sums involved, IMO it's a worse waste checking on a dead man, who served his country as PM than an entertainer, whose company that night seems somewhat dubious.

Whether I'd watch Barrymore is of little relevance; his type of show is not my cup of tea.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Rising Star

It's not what the law says it's what the public think.

Could he have rescued his career ? I doubt it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Champnet wrote:

utter nonsense.

so if the public think, for example, YOU are a peadophile but there is no evidence to suggest you are then tough luck?

Champnet
Rising Star

Unfortunately mud sticks........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

and if said mud was thrown by the authorities then quite rightly they should be compensated.
the police actually had the audacity to offer £1 as compensation... yes 1 WHOLE POUND.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Champnet wrote:

Unfortunately mud sticks........ 

Only for the narrow / small minded.

The rest of society accepts that the law decides innocent or guilty for a reason so yes it is what the law says.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

chenks76 wrote:
and if said mud was thrown by the authorities then quite rightly they should be compensated.
the police actually had the audacity to offer £1 as compensation... yes 1 WHOLE POUND.

I know I had to double take when I read that, how insulting from the police. Barrymore has never been charged. I believe there is a whole series of one of his shows that has been recorded from back in the day but ( ITV I think ) decided not to air it. Got to be better than some of the nonsense on TV nowadays so they might air it soon.

Michael Barrymore's life story interview:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7a6xe5kO8

St3
All Star

Champnet wrote:

Most of the public are the ones who spread lies and untrue storys because they have nothing better to do!

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Champnet
Rising Star

"Most of the public" are also the people who can make or break Entertainer's careers.

They can also bring down governments.................

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I would suspect it would be difficult - but fair enough if he tried.

I can't remember but I think he worked for ITV. So it would depend on audience figures and advertising revenue whether any show he presented (and job) lasted.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Didn't he go to Australia for a while after the incident?  If his talent was obvious I'm sure one of the many Aussie TV stations would have employed him.

I only ever caught the odd segment of his shows, and his comedic genius seemed to consist of saying "Aw 'ight" at every opportunity.  Why this should have the audience in stitches I don't know but I think comedy/entertainment has move on a bit since then.