cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mice -the second sequel

Fixes: 125

Mice -the second sequel

We seem to be overrun with them even more this autumn.
Previous summers have been quiet but this summer we heard and saw quite a few but now they are getting even more daring and they fly, too. Well, jump at any rate.
We have just put 7 traps back down with chocolate and caught one within 5 minutes. I have seen papers move on my PC desk and remnants of chewed tissues as well as mouse droppings on the kitchen surface and table! They are very loud at night with their chewing and scratching.
We had new people move in last year who ripped out just about everything and I wonder if that disturbed the mice. Also, the neighbours the other side of us have been doing a lot of work over the last few days and maybe that is having an effect Undecided It's actually beginning to upset SWMBO.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

38 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Mice -the second sequel

As traps will only do so much,
Have you tried the Ultrasonic pest control way
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ultrasonic+pest+con...
I have never used them so can't vouch if they work or not

SWMBO just mentioned the electronic deterrents and said she was talking to someone the other day who said they simply don't work. Some of the reviews weren't too good either.
Funnily enough we have just caught another!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

TORPC
Grafter

Also have you alerted pest control for your area, as they can bait the main areas
See if you can find their entrance(s) & Exit(s) & block them up
For example
Are they going in / out a cavity wall(s) / Cellar / Drainage pipes / Vent(s) etc
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Rentokill's "Fast Action Mouse Killer" worked well for me a couple years ago when other baits/traps failed with mice.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

for best anti mouse control ,,,,,  get a CAT  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav please use humane traps to catch them alive. Then send them to me as I love mice - I'll keep them as pets and breed them!
I'll make a small fortune.. selling them to people who want revenge on neighbours etc... put them in their sheds, through letterboxes etc etc  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Cats won't work. Get a snake.
(I think you can only expect non-serious answers now, as TORPC's reply seems to be the best way forward).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)

So many holes in the wall all over the house I wouldn't even begin to try filling them in. It's a very old building dating back, probably, to the 18th or even 17th century. It's actually a row of houses originally built on the outside of a farmer's boundary wall to house the workers so I have been told.
Cat's, snakes or any other animal is a no go as I'll never have any more pets again Roll eyes
Quote from: 7up
selling them to people who want revenge on neighbours etc... put them in their sheds, through letterboxes etc etc  Cheesy
Maybe that's what's been happening to us  Shocked Crazy
For now we'll just do our best to keep them under control with traps until we find a new property to move too.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

https://www.gov.uk/report-pest-problem if you have not already tried
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
TORPC
Grafter

In an ideal world, yes it would be better for the humane approach & only if there is a handful of mice, & the let the go in some woodland miles away from populated areas
However as we are dealing with a large population of mice, & we all know how fast they can & do breed, the quickest methods are unfortunately NOT going to be humane
@Mav
I hope you can get rid as quick as possible
Just seen you reply in the preview Smiley
Have you got any neighbours from hell (quoting the tittle of the TV program), that would do such a crime ?Huh

Quote from: TORPC
Have you got any neighbours from hell (quoting the tittle of the TV program), that would do such a crime ?Huh

Not as far as I know.
Both sides seem decent people and we don't actually know any one else in the village. We back on to open fields so I assume the mice come from there Undecided

TORPC
Grafter

They are obviously attracted to your property for some reason, If you could find & eliminate or minimise what ever it is, may help
As your neighbours are having work done, most likely they have disturbed their nest(s)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Before you go releasing trapped rodents consider this:
The welfare of captured rodents is covered by the Animal Welfare Act 2006
(http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/en/ukpgaen_20060045_en_1), which puts in
place a duty of care for the welfare of all animals under human control (even on a
temporary basis). The implications of this to the release or killing of captured rodents is
unclear but the capture, release or killing of rodents in circumstances that compromised
or might compromise their welfare may be open to challenge if the animals needs are
not met as far as is reasonable in the circumstances. If suffering is caused which is
deemed to be unnecessary then this will constitute an offence under this Act. Whether
the suffering is unnecessary requires the consideration of a number of factors such as
whether the suffering could have reasonably been avoided or reduced, whether the
control operation was for a legitimate purpose and whether the suffering was
proportionate to the purpose of the control operation concerned.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

My neighbor get mice regular , where i have a Ginger cat  Cool i dont get any mice ,,,,,,,,,,,,  except the PC kind  Grin 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .