65 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Metric Road Signs for the UK

Here we go again.
craigyoung
Grafter

Wow.  Did you look at the comments on the article.  "Another reason to vote BNP."
I see the Daily Express readers are still the liberal bunch they've always been. 
SparckZero
Grafter

If only Diana were still here... Grin
I can see the logic behind doing it - it's not like they're talking about replacing all the speed limit signs, just the height and width ones...
Community Veteran

But who's to say speed limits won't be next?  Sad
@cyoung, can't see any mention of the BNP in the article.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think there are a lot of blind drivers on this forum..... or am I mistaken.... nearly ALL the bridges I have passed under in over 100,000 miles of uk driving have dual markings for height, and width.... Or am I just dreaming?///
Apart from that it seems the people responsible for this "change" think it worth doing because 12% of foreign drivers get confused.... and drive their big trucks through holes not quite big enough.... OK... seems fair enough... two things come to mind....
1>.....make the holes bigger..... Cheesy
2>.. that means when the "change" is completed......
that 88% of british drivers will be confused, causing more big lorries to get jammed in the same holes...OOps !.. Roll eyes
Will they change back to stop that happeing?   I doubt it.  Undecided
Community Veteran

@artmo..... read the last line of the third comment.... (not in the article.... agreed) but it is in the comments.. !
Community Veteran

Thanks Shutter, I only read the article.
SparckZero
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
But who's to say speed limits won't be next?  Sad

I can't see it happening personally - given that all the Speedometers are in MPH and not all have got the secondary KPH scale...that said, they'd probably make a lot of money from speed cameras during the transition period if they did go ahead and do it Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

As it was in the Express, I have just got my bucket of salt out, when I see an official notice, I might believe it.  The distance markers on Motorways have been metric fo at least 20 years and the countdown to Junctions are also metric
the signs below have been in existence since at least 2004  http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/tsmanual/
nadger
Rising Star

Having driven on continent since 1965 I've always found that multiplying kilometres by 0.6 gives an easy approximate conversion for both speed and distance.
Community Veteran

Thank you Pierre, for restoring my sanity !.. Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
Here we go again.

Indeed. Mountains out of molehills due to people having an "agenda".
Anyone who bothered to ACTUALLY CHECK the proposals would find that it will ALLOW certain signs that are currently ONLY Imperial (by law) to also show metric measurements. Many signs are like this already of course, i.e. show both.
And, as we all know, journalists never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  Lips are sealed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

speeds.  You should try driving around Enniskillin in Northern  Ireland, if the line is white on the side of the road, the 50 means 50 MPH, if the line on the road is yellow, the 50 means 30 mph (50 kmh)
no border to cross and the speed signs are not marked KM or mile.  (Eire is all metric)
barky
Grafter

what I'd like to see more of is temporary road signs that don't have 100yds, 200yds .. show metres instead --- being the age I am things seem to come up 10% earlier than I expect --- imperial crud has always been a source of confusion to me most likely because like me most folk under 40 were not taught it @ school