Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Met Office and Meteo forecasts variance

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Met Office and Meteo forecasts variance

My wife looks up the weather forecasts from the Met Office, and Meteo, the provider of BBC Forecasts. She tells me that one gives a temperature forecast that is around a degree higher than the other with a feel like figure a couple of degrees higher; the giver of the lower forecast temperature gives a feel like about a degree lower.

I have no problem with the difference of one degree in the forecasts, but how one can see it'll feel hotter than it is, and the other colder to a range of ~4degrees C, to my little brain is totally incomprehensible.

I need to know: should I go out in my shorts or wear my long-johns and water bottle beneath my trousers.Funny

Ideas, guys!?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Re: Met Office and Meteo forecasts variance

The 'feel like' temperature will depend on humidity and wind speed.

The thing I can't get my head round is this:

The actual and the 'feel like' temperature quoted in a forecast are almost invariably different, so how does anyone know what any given temperature actually feels like?

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Luzern wrote:

I need to know: should I go out in my shorts or wear my long-johns and water bottle beneath my trousers.Funny

Ideas, guys!?

Simples..... go outside... in your shorts  ( boxer or other type ! ) Shocked ... and see what it "Feels like"....  Cheesythen decide ! 

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

The BBC website, the BBC text service, and the BBC live forecasts are usually different, although their maximum temperature forecasts are generally pretty similar.

I just wish they'd stop talking about hot and cold temperatures.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

BBC forecast temp for my location today was a high of 24c.... which has been exceeded, as the temp in the back garden, in the shade of the house... (Sun on South side,..... temp on North side in shade )... shows 30C

That compares favourably with North Finland... as you can see from this pic  ! ...

finland 30c.png