cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Men can now use ladies toilets if they want to - or vice versa

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Men can now use ladies toilets if they want to - or vice versa

Manchester University have gone PC mad - just ignore the wishes of the majority pander to a very small minority
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7643175.stm
18 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: Men can now use ladies toilets if they want to - or vice versa

Ally McBeal style! Cheesy
johpal
Grafter

Lavatories for disabled people are usually "unisex" and in much of continental Europe you find similar facilities for all. Imagine the uproar if a third set of lavatories were introduced, labelled "Other".  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Yes I agree, its nothing to do with PC madness.  I am partially disabled and dont like stairs.  A Harvestor Restaurant nearest me has the Normal Toilets upstairs, the one down is combined disabled, Children - I use that one and have to put up with the Non Gets bits.
It is also the same at most Hospitals I have been to - so Nothing new.  Good on Manchester for recognising the problem
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Imagine the uproar if a third set of lavatories were introduced, labelled "Other". 

They've actually done this at certain schools in Thailand.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7529227.stm
Community Veteran

The problem I see with this is not things like disabled toilets which are usually unisex but the fact that in a Student Union drunken students can go into either toilet and annoy the opposite sex with no means of preventing them. Also could one be accused of  sexual harassment by flashing in the urinal.  Shocked
Of course the even worse problem for us men is that when there is a queue in the ladies toilet (a fairly normal situation) they will all come into ours so that a "sit down activity" - euphemism to get past the swear filter - will involve a wait which isn't usual.  Angry
Of course from the opposite point of view the male students (out of shear bloody mindedness) could commandeer all the ladies toilets for the above mentioned "sit down activity).  Crazy
Just seen this which puts another slant on it http://www.student-direct.co.uk/2008/09/editorial-2209-unisex-toilets/
There are of course those for whom the idea of such communal conveniences fills them with dread, most importantly among certain religious groups on campus,
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Also could one be accused of  sexual harassment by flashing in the urinal. 

I guess if you had a highly polished or mirrored urinal it could be possible.  Lips are sealed
Just what are you doing *in* the urinal?  Tongue
SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ramidoodle
Grafter

that's a funny situation lol. I don't find that this experience in Manchester is wrong Cheesy a bit confusing tho
I once went to the ladies one then realised it after I was unable to find the urinal lol
Community Veteran

Just to add a bit of sanity to the thread - it would appear that only one set of  the toilets have been relabelled 
But according to Harri Weeks, Manchester's trans representative, the changes apply to only one set of loos in the basement of the union building. The toilets in the rest of the university are not being made unisex.
link
Community Veteran

It would be simpler if they did away with all urinals, then a toilet will be just a toilet. The only reason urinals are popular is that you can cram more people into a given space, an example being mobile portaloos at shows.
Morphies
Dabbler

If i had a pound for everytime a woman has come wondering into the male toilets in a pub / club simply because the queue for the ladies was too big.
it happens all the time... woo hoo for long queues!
techguy
Grafter

With some odd guy gettin' down to Barry White in front of a mirror though of course in reality they would have to have it playing over a PA system.

Grin
An excellent comedy that
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just been down to me Doctors new Surgery - Opened last week.  Two toilets in reception area, both have a picture of man side  of Women
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
both have a picture of man side  of Women

The mind boggles.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

does it, you should try having a rest in the same room as SWMBO