cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Memory

Are some people born with a good memory or is it just a matter of training your memory.

For example some actors can recite page after page of a play without any prompts whilst others seem to have an amazing memory for trivia such as some questions asked in a quiz.

Me ? I can't even remember what I had for dinner yesterday.

Smiley

20 REPLIES
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Re: Memory

A bit of both. You've got the type of guy who loves a topic and remembers even the most obscure facts about it who is great as a team mate for a pub quiz. And then you have people like Daniel Tammet and Kim Peek.
Fixes: 125

Some people have excellent memories;

Once a man was travelling through the west on vacation, when he saw a sign that said, "Meet the Indian Who Never Forgets, Next Exit". Well, being curious, the man stops at the attraction to see the Indian. He asks the man, "What did you have for breakfast on June 9, 1978?" The Indian replies "Eggs!"

Well, everyone has eggs for breakfast, this guy is a charlatan, the man thinks.

10 years later, the same man is on vacation again, and sees the sign for the Indian again. He thinks what the heck, I'll stop in and see him.

When the man approaches the Indian, he holds up his hand and says, "How!"

The Indian replies, "Scrambled."

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Same here, I can remember very little but then my brain has it's own memory dump.

I have friends that can remember the names of teachers and friends from school over 60 years ago yet I'm hard put to recall just a couple. Maybe it's because I've always been partially deaf as those who struggle to hear tend to turn off completely.

Now turned 70 I don't even bother to try even though I wear a hearing aid. Habit of a lifetime I guess.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

@Mav

You do know people have been shot for telling better jokes than that! Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Champnet
Rising Star

We can probably remember far more than we think but sometimes we need a trigger to recall events....

I can still recall the entire list of class mates alphabetically from over 40 years ago. For many years after leaving school I was able to remember the complete timetables from 1st to 5th year.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

@Minivanman Wink

@Champnet Smells are great memory triggers. Only yesterday I had a smell that reminded me of my primary school days - bitter/sweet memories.

Fixes: 47

Champnet wrote:

sometimes we need a trigger to recall events....

I find it fascinating when that occurs and I find myself saying "where the devil did that come from"

Inevitably it's something from many years ago and people who also recognise the remembered event think I have an amazing memory but it's just a snippet of information jogged out of my old long term memory.

Short term events and information I have much less success with these days.

Quite often if I have a phone number to remember for example I find that if I write it down I'll remember it and I can throw away the paper.

If I don't write it down it usually disappears within hours.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

They do say our brains have the equivalent of RAM and ROM memory.

Some is short term and can we almost feel it fade, especially thoughts we have when waking from a dream filled sleep. One chap I knew kept pencil and paper by his bed in order write stuff down he felt he needed to keep after which he would presumably file it away from RAM into that ROM.... or is it the other way around. Wink

Interesting about memory triggers as well, it's as if a missing jigsaw like piece has dropped into place joining two long forgotten events together. 

Other than that is there any need to recall things after all, with so much is 'out there' now at the click of a mouse, what's the point?

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I do four or five 'quizzes' on FunTrivia almost every day, mainly to keep my mind active, and the number of obscure questions I 'know' the answer to amazes me. Admittedly, some of the questions are repeated, so they kind of imprint themselves, but I still seem to drag up some answers from who knows where in my memory.

Having said that, my school and college days are a relative blank - I can only remember half a dozen teachers/lecturers and maybe twenty fellow students.

John
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Must admit at being terrible at remembering Names of people Embarrassed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 47

I did read somewhere that one of the prime functions of sleep is the transfer of content from the short term to the long term memory.

Hence the need for good regular sleep.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

@rongtw

Same here, and I was saying the exact same thing to whatshisname the other day!

Community Veteran

Mate pal chummy etc

You can only use them so often so when out doing the rounds I would write down the names of the people I expected to meet.

Worked fine. I couldn't afford the Johnny Depp way of an earplug with a prompter at the other end.