Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Memory

Funny how you think you remember something from your childhood but then it turns out to be incorrect.

I always though that 'Journey into space was transmitted from Radio Luxembourg' clearly I was wrong.....

It was transmitted by the BBC in 1953....And if anyone who remembers it wants to hear all the episodes again they can....

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/sci-fi/journey-into-space

No responsibility is accepted for any sleepless nights arising from listening to the above !

Smiley

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Memory

I used to listen to that on a small valve radio as I was trying to drop off to sleep at the end of the day. Some hope! Shocked

Jack Jackson was on Radio Luxy if I remember correctly. That was a must for me!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not a childhood thing, but a few weeks back I went to visit an old friend I'd not seen for well over ten years and knew exactly where he lived - only on arriving there he didn't. Where I was convinced his riverside house was, turned out to be on the opposite side of the bank.

Now this all might be well and good and put down to have this false memory syndrome thingy but I am still totally convinced I was right even though the facts show that I was wrong. Same house outside and in and no, he had not moved.  

Some sort of false reality slip instead? No idea but it really is weird.  

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

@gleneagles wrote:

....And if anyone who remembers it wants to hear all the episodes again they can....

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/sci-fi/journey-into-space

I downloaded a few programmes but the site is currently down. Sad

PS It dates from before my time...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman What had happened was that the Matrix had crashed, and the backup was corrupt, and parts had to be reconstructed.

In the 50's my dad had an aerial business. They had a shop in a small Black Country town.

I happened to find the address and went looking for pictures of the shop online. The buildings where the shop was all went sometime in the 70s or 80s at a guess, but I found a map with building numbers online, and rather angled view of it in the mid 30s on this site.

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ 

The right place, but I have a vivid memory of it as having an area of tarmac in front of it, and between it and the road. It's right on the road.

I was only 5 though the last time I went there.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Science now says that when you remember something you are not remembering the original event, you are remembering what was re-stored last time you recalled that memory and different neurons are used to 're-remember it'.  It is not like taking a book out of the library, reading it and putting the same book back for future reference,  more like opening a file on a computer, and not being able to re-save it,  but having to re-write it from memory and then save it.  Memory is also not in one specific area of the brain,  it is distributed in different areas,  and that memory is like a file on a badly fragmented hard drive, split up into different parts...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

I recall listening to that and being so taken with it my plimsolls started to smell as they melted in front of a small electric fire!

I must have been about five, and got a good telling off from the house master. Sad

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@gleneagles   Was it "Dan Dare"   on R.L. ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@shutter 

Yes it was Dan Dare on RL

Long wave......not uncommon for the sound to fluctuate and sometimes at the more exciting bits.

Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@gleneagles on Long Wave..it was on 230 kc/s but it gradually disappeared in the english language version, late 40`s to early 50`s...   in the 1951  it started on a lower power transmitter, on 208 mtrs  Medium Wave... about 1.445mc/s   (1445 kc/s) almost at the end of the medium wave spectrum...

It was also broadcast on the 49 mtr band, ( short wave ) .. about 6.230 mc/s  ( used to listen to it out in the med... ! ..)

Evening time for Medium wave was "interesting" to radio listeners... as you say.. it used to fade in and out. due to the Ionospheric propogation... sometimes very loud,... and other nights... not hardly worth listening to..

Long wave was the main band for "long distance" "local" broadcasting... such as one station could cover a large surfact area.. as in the "light programme"  which could be heard in just about every corner of the u.k.

Radio Moscow, and a couple of French broadcast stations were the main users...

Atlantic 252.. was a commercial radio station situated in Ireland... and that used to be broadcasting pop music,(started in 1989  until 2002 )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_252

and YES !   I was right..... it was "Dan Dare"     "pilot of the future"

Mondays: 7:15 pm – The Adventures of Dan Dare, "Pilot of the future" – fifteen minutes serial heard Monday to Friday and featuring the voice of Noel Johnson who also played the part of Dick Barton on BBC radio. This serial began on 2 July 1951 and ran for five years.

And of course..... you never missed.....

Sundays: 6:15 pm – Ovaltiney's Concert Party – a version of the popular show that was originally broadcast before World War II over the original Radio Luxembourg long-wave station.