Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Foam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Memory Foam

@jab1 wrote:

When I go to visit my friend in Brighton she has a Tempur mattress, and it is the only time I have 3 weeks of perfect sleep.

I will get myself one - one day - but at around £1,000 a time, I'm still thinking about it Smiley

But you can buy memory foam 2 or 3 inches thick the same size as your current mattress for a fraction of the price of a full mattress, sure it will not be as good as a full memory foam mattress but could be a stop gap measure whilst saving up for the real thing

jab1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

I have a memoryfoam mattress already (cost about £200 two years ago from Bensons), but it is nowhere as comfortable as the Tempur, although MUCH better than the standard mattress under it.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I've seen it thicker than that at 4" but for a full sized bed you'd be looking at around £100 I reckon. If you do buy it, make sure you leave it unrolled for at least 48 hours before cutting to size?

Fixes: 263

I have thought about getting one but I shift around a lot during the night so wasn't sure it would be suitableUndecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Ah no @shutter, no such luck. It's just for when the grandchildren stop over and a  3'6" wide French 'day bed' we brought back with us so perfect for them as it also has a sort of wrought iron rail around the side. 

Heck, if it's for the grandchildren maybe this would be more appropriate, save them getting out in the night Thumbs Up

Obviously you might want to ask the Chinese lady to sleep somewhere else perhaps?

pl2533195-medical_bed_restraints_limbs_immobilizer_system_for_mental_patient.jpg

jab1
Aspiring Hero

@Mav - When I'm alone in the bed, I move quite a bit and haven't noticed any adverse effects. Lin cannot stay in bed for extended periods of time due to spinal problems, so it tends to be 3-4 hours laid perfectly still to avoid disturbing her, followed by 3 or 4 hours on my own. All I know is that I'm very much better du.ring my time on that bed.

John
DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

We have a Casper mattress, that's a combination of four different layers of memory and latex foams. It's the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on.

https://casper.com/uk/en

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

On a more serious note...

I have no experience of a memory foam mattress however I do have a pillow made of the stuff. Well actually it's my second one as the first went all lumpy. My own feelings on memory foam is that it works to a degree but that rather depends on how much extra material is wrapped around it. For instance when I strip the pillow case off mine it behaves exactly like memory foam should and bounces back to shape pretty quick. The same cannot be said however when it has a pillow protector and two pillow case on it. These seem to restrict it's ability to resume shape and so I'm constantly shaking and plumping it up again through the night.

I suppose it mostly depends on how well it's made and the materials used, there's some cheap memory foam out there which you be forgiven for thinking has Alzheimer's. 

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

P.S.

They can't be all bad, WHICH have awarded this one a BEST BUY award Memory 3 Sleep By Silentnight

jab1
Aspiring Hero

I have a Tempur foam pillow which has a genuine pillow protector and a pillow case. It resumes its correct shape in seconds and is wonderfully comfortable throughout the night.

John
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Mine came from Poundstretcher! Undecided

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Sometimes a video demonstration is all we need to make up our minds... this one comes complete with in-built humpability Cheesy

SfLC2re.gif

jab1
Aspiring Hero

@MKSlinky wrote:

Mine came from Poundstretcher! Undecided

Not much I can say about that, really Wink . Seriously though, cheap means questionable quality, so I wouldn't expect miracles.

John
Fixes: 221

I bought one of these.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.1 (64-bit)

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

No not expecting miracles.., my mum bought them for herself, she's the thrifty one in our family but she couldn't get along with them hence the hand me down.

I did buy two other more expensive ones from Ikea which were shaped to the contours of your neck, they were like sleeping on a log and were too small.

Might treat myself to a new one soon, my back and neck really hurt lately. Undecided