Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Foam

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Memory Foam

Mrs Minivanman has just bought a mattress made with this stuff for our spare bedroom, but have we made an expensive mistake because looking online about it, I'm reading some horrendous things about how bad this product is for our health and the environment.

Should have checked first perhaps, but still.

Any thoughts guys? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Memory Foam

I've heard many people saying they're not nice to sleep on, one person likened it to sleeping on "a hot, sweaty marshmallow", made worse in the summertime as it absorbs sweat and can go a bit manky as it ages...

I've tried out a few memory foam mattresses in bed shops and ikea, and it's a very weird sensation, you sink into it, and when you want to turn over, forget it, the thing holds you there in its vice-like grip leaving you somewhat stuck trying to overcome its resistance, didn't like it myself, much prefer the pocket-spring mattress myself, because resistance is futile... Grin

As for the environmental concerns, well, it is a big synthetic sponge, made with chemicals and preservatives, so can't be that good... Shocked

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

We've had a mattress with foam topper for years and I wouldn't be without it but then I do have osteoarthritis. Before I used to wake up and feel as tho' I had slept on concrete and my hips were seized.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

Mrs Minivanman has just bought a mattress made with this stuff for our spare bedroom, but have we made an expensive mistake

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....................................................

Any thoughts guys? 

That depends on how often mrs minivan consigns/confines you to the spare bedroom, methinks... Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman - The bed in the spare room is a divan?

Minivanman
Hero

It's a small double, not a divan.Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mook     @Minivanman small people only need a small double... hence the minivan... Cheesy

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

My elder daughter and husband have one, which they find very comfortable for their chronic back condition from a RTC seventeen years ago; younger daughter has one too (mattress), and we have slept in one. In fact we are changing our elderly mattress for one.

Whether heat is a problem depends on construction; some have air circulation.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We bought a super king size bed with a memory foam mattress. I fact the Base is solid wood! Best thing we ever did. What pleases SWMBO most is the lack of disturbance for her when I turn over, she used to get bounced out of bed! Now you can hardly tell there is someone in the bed with you if you stay on your own side.
I found it helped with my aches and pains but now I have had my hip operation it's no so necessary
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some mattresses have a combination of both springs & memory foam or Latex & memory foam, perhaps that's the best option to go for.

As the saying goes, Buy the best mattress and shoes you can afford, if you are not in one you will be in the other.

Wink

Minivanman
Hero

"Small people only need a small double... hence the minivan"

Ah no @shutter, no such luck. It's just for when the grandchildren stop over and a  3'6" wide French 'day bed' we brought back with us so perfect for them as it also has a sort of wrought iron rail around the side. Just the job in fact Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

I often came across various memory foam mattresses when staying in hotels on business trip. They were comfortable enough but not a match for a good pocket sprung mattress. Some memory foam mattresses were noticeably less comfortable than others. I guess it depends on the manufacturing process/foam quality.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

gleneagles wrote:

Some mattresses have a combination of both springs & memory foam

That's what we have and it's awesome. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

When I go to visit my friend in Brighton she has a Tempur mattress, and it is the only time I have 3 weeks of perfect sleep.

I will get myself one - one day - but at around £1,000 a time, I'm still thinking about it Smiley

John
Fixes: 47

I bought a memory foam mattress for my double bed early last year.

During the summer it felt so warm where I was laying that I thought it might spontaneously catch fire....it didn't.

I can go to be with aching joints and wake up next morning ache free.

I do find it somewhat advisable to sleep in the same position every night as turning over means lying in a hollowed out shape that hasn't recovered and is incompatible with my new shape...if that makes sense.

Overall I'm pleased I bought it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation