cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Membership of the EU

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Membership of the EU

Perhaps few people will agree with me but I predict that within 10 years we will have come out of the EU.
By doing so we will lose a vast amount of money but equally will save a fair amount in the process.
There is no reason why we cannot continue to trade with the EU (even though an additional 4% of costs would be added as a non EU partner) but equally we would save the usual annual contribution.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Membership of the EU

I think its break up is imminent. Or at least a complete renegotiation back to the trading agreement it was meant to be.
I expect there will be great resistance from Euro pigs/MP's/Civil servants on the threat of there trough/gravy train being taken away.
There would be little point going back to a straight trading agreement if the hangers on still remained at their posts sucking away at our dwindling finances.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I agree we won't remain in the EU but I would give it 5 rather than 10 years.  The present format cannot continue as it is. I don't see the UK being the only country to leave either.  I think there is a general disquiet amongst members, particularly those paying the bills. 
The original concept of a trading zone was good but it has now got completely out of control.  @billnotben I think you are right and we will see a move back to the original concept.  I only hope its sooner rather than later.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how could you Artmo
Your friend was Chancellor when we refused to join the Euro
Community Veteran

I'm not happy with this half hearted approach to being a member of the EU, either we're IN and adopt the Euro, or OUT and go it alone, I'm actually not fussy which, don't like the lack of a decision.
Although I cannot see the £ being very successful on it own, free from constraints of any major currency. With the PIIG bail-outs the Euro is self-correcting very good economies (Germany, Holland, Finland) are currently supporting bad economies (PIIGS).
When UK fails who will support the £?....................Guess then we all learn to eat with chop-sticks Crazy Crazy
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
When UK fails who will support the £?...................

That sums up the growing feeling that the UK tax payer is being taken for a ride.
We are supporting the failing Euro but which of mainland Europe's countries tax payers would support us if we needed help.
Fixes: 80

I does feel like a sinking ship with less and less people helping with the bailing.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine