cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Melting ice caps.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Melting ice caps.

As I understand it there has be a considerable reduction in the level of Ice at the Arctic but an increase of ice at the Antarctic.
Does the reduction in the North balance the increase at the South ? and could this change alter the axis of the earth ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Melting ice caps.

In the words of a famous Lager advert.......
"Probably"....  Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

It has to be a tiny portion of the total mass of the planet (some 5.972E24 kilograms) so I would doubt it would have any effect on the axis angle.
It would be interesting if it did though.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
It would be interesting if it did though.

"Chandler's Wobble" rings some bells.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Does the reduction in the North balance the increase at the South ? and could this change alter the axis of the earth ?

Well I guess in line with the Mayan prediction for Dec 23rd 2012, we'll know soon enough  Undecided
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

This reminded me of a fun thing.  Imagine if every person on the planet were to gather in one place and at exactly the same time, jump.  6-7 billion people jumping at the same time, what sort of effect would that have on the planet?
http://what-if.xkcd.com/8/
Crazy
Actually that site is pretty crazy, and fun.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Does the reduction in the North balance the increase at the South ?

People get this totally wrong.
Ice on the Arctic Ocean is floating, so when it melts there is no change in the balance of anything AT ALL.
Now ice on land well above sea level, e.g. Greenland, is a somewhat different matter.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Ice on the Arctic Ocean is floating, so when it melts there is no change in the balance of anything AT ALL.

Actually thats kinda wrong. Water when freezing expands. When it melts logic would follow that it will contract so in theory the water level should very slightly drop.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Operation Iceberg ( Tuesday) on BBC TV was  interesting, more than I thought it would be.
Second episode tonight.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Sprite
Quote from: HPsauce

Actually thats kinda wrong. Water when freezing expands. When it melts logic would follow that it will contract so in theory the water level should very slightly drop.

Nope Sprite, although the volume has increased the density has decreased, so the ammount displaced is the same as what it was when liquid.
Community Veteran

I stand corrected! I had wondered about that as I saw a time lapse video of ice cubes melting in a glass of water years ago but forgot about the density part of it when posting.