cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Melting Knob

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Melting Knob

6 Months ago we purchased a well known make of a new cooker but the three control knobs are starting to melt !!
Looking on the internet this seems to be a common problem, how can a firm that makes cookers be so useless as to not know about this problem ?
Of course spare control knobs are available and as this cooker is under 12 months old I expect to get a new set for nothing but if they are made from the same material then the problem will remain ?
Some web sites have suggested the door seal may be faulty but this is a new cooker and when grilling things the oven door will be left open.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Melting Knob

Which make of oven - it isn't a Neff is it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

do you still have the "instruction booklet" ? ? ? 
You might find that there is a "pull out" shield just below the control knobs, that you should use when grilling stuff...
Community Veteran

Samsung.
Have still got the instruction book but nothing mentioned about a shield.
Community Veteran

This may be completely wrong but if it is a single oven with a grill then it is very likely that the grill control is via the oven thermostat not via a rheostat on the grill.
This means that grilling with the oven door open bypasses the temperature control system and the grill just goes onto full power and stay there causing massive over heating and melted knobs
This model definitely should have the door closed http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/BQ2Q7G078-Samsung-Dual-Cook-Electric-Single-Oven-Glass-208... Look under Questions and Answers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Stand by for a shock when you replace them. I posted this a few months back, I broke one of the knobs on my Hotpoint hob. Was horrified to find that the cheapest price I could find was £14 each!! (plus postage)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles
Samsung.
Have still got the instruction book but nothing mentioned about a shield.

Have you looked in the oven to see if there is one hiding in there?
If not... perhaps your local one man bander garage could make up a shield to your (cardboard) specifications...
And.... possibly turn out a few spares, to sell on Ebay, and make a profit ... ( if your cooker needs it....then others will do, too ! )
Community Veteran

I have a cheap cooker that has a similar grill, it has a clip on shield for that reason.  As you say its under warranty still, I would be tempted to pull the not Fit for use and report it to Trading standards with a bad/dangerous design.
of satisfactory quality - last for the time you would expect it to and be free of any defects
fit for purpose – fit for the use described and any specific use you made clear to the trader

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Looking on the internet this seems to be a common problem, how can a firm that makes cookers be so useless as to not know about this problem ?

The management are more obsessed with living the glitzy glamour life and having fast cars than giving a **** about their products  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Gus,
Problem with that is that they might say return the cooker and we will give you your money back.
The cooker is in a fitted unit and would have to be disconnected by an electrician who would then need to come again and reconnect another cooker. I Understand it's illegal for you to do this work yourself. I Simply can't be bothered with all the hassle at my age.
Petlew,
I Have checked out the price for replacement knobs, the small one costs £3.50 and the 2 larger ones £ 4.75. If Samsung have any sense they will send me a replacement set free.
Shutter,
Good idea, there is a fairly narrow slot where a sheet of metal could go to deflect the heat when using the grill but I doubt it would work when the oven was on as it  might block the heat coming from the oven
Community Veteran

As you haven't spotted/commented on my suggestion can you advise the actual model number of the cooker
Community Veteran

Model Name  BF641FB
Serial  172c7dbb900073z
Community Veteran

Yup - open door grilling is what it says
St3
All Star

Quote from: Oldjim
Which make of oven - it isn't a Neff is it

I take it you have neff also ?
Ive got a neff hob and oven, they seam to work fine Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Yes but if you run the grill on a Neff oven with built in grill with the door open it gets a bit hot as the only temperature control on the grill is the oven thermostat.
In passing this makes it very difficult to grill bacon to a nice crisp state