cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meldrew moment

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Meldrew moment

Unusually, Yesterday I was to be seen doing the weekly shop at Sainsbury's as SWMBO was doing something useful elsewhere. It came to the difficult task of buying replacement razor blades, when I started looking at the price per blade on the price label at the edge of the shelf. Some of the packs led to a price per blade approaching £2.00! On the same shelf the price of a traditional single razor blade was 20p (in a pack of 10).  

It's a small wonder the market leading razor blades are housed in theft preventing packaging. However I'm wondering whether the real thieves are the razor blade companies for such outrageous prices for modern multiblades!

Needless to say my Amazon Wishlist now includes a traditional single blade razor at around £30.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Meldrew moment

Go electric.... !... never buy razor blades again.... I have never bought any since I started shaving 60 years ago... imagine how many, and how much that would have cost me.... in that time, I have had three electric "philishave" type razors, and none have let me down..  ( first one had only one rotary ..... second was an upgrade to 2 rotary`s....and now I have the ultimate ! ! ! 3 rotary`s ! !)..

Other benefits.... no more shaving cream... ( cost saving )... no more cuts and nicks  ( health and safety).. and as the modern trend is to " SWITCH and DITCH"  your current supplier if it costs you too much...   ( i.e. the razor blade manufacturers/retailers)  you are bang on trend ! ! Cheesy

Community Veteran

I used to electric shave, but had trouble with ingrowing hair so switched back to scything the growth lubricated with soap suds.

I've always wondered with the likes of Gillette as to how much of the price is to pay for the marketing to encourage you to pay for the price inflated products. The actual production cost of bulk manufacturing must be just a few pence per unit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep well the inkjet printer and printer cartridge model is the same. Probably cheaper to dump the printer each time and get a new one that has cartridges - but of course you don't.

I use an electric razor, mainly because I am not too good at shaving manually, cut my face (when I've tried it) and my bathroom resembles something from a horror film. Wink

Fixes: 125

I have returned to using razors after over two years of a Phillishave until I get a replacement head for Christmas. Did use the really cheap blue ones from Aldi but they went blunt too quickly within one shave so am using BiC which are much better. No way would I use the likes of Gillette again as I really don't think they are worth the extra cost.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I use the triple blades from Lidl. In between the online freebies.

Once upon a time I did consider buying branded blades off ebay but apparently there is a lot of fakes about.

Not surprising considering how much real ones sell for.

Community Veteran

Thanks, @shutter.

The replacement heads I require are RQ11/50 which often retail at over £40.

I wouldn't get non-genuine parts, though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Mav  On this page...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=phillishave%20RQ11/50%20head&rt=n...

£39.99    UK seller...( not checked actual page though ! )..

I bought my last phillishave razor on Ebay.... about 5 years back,... think it was about £48.00   but can`t find any listed now..!..

Interestingly..... he is a UK based seller... has address in lancashire...

below that, there are 4 reviews.... 2 say it is good.. and 2 say it is absolute rubbish ! ! ...   There Ya Go ! ..Smiley

Community Veteran

Good heavens! At 20p each those double edge safety razor blades were a rip off. I could get them for  10p each (and shaving soap thrown in).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Derby-Double-Safety-Blades-Shaving/dp/B00CK6PKNO/ref=sr_1_6_s_it

@shutter

I'm still hoping my daughter and future son-in-law will get them for me for ChristmasWink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have got to ask but suspect I know the answer,........Can single razor blades be resharpened ?

Community Veteran

Multi-blade sharpening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DV-9IT255A

single safety blade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBQin-2g1E

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Pyramid power Smiley

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Gillette, the best a man can get. It's a racket the price of modern blades, like a Mach fusion. I tried electric shaving but it's nothing to what a wet shave gets you. I bought a safety razor but only tried it a handful of times. However I will be trying it some more as practise makes perfect and I grudge the price of some blades and my ' modern' ones are running out.