Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mega Millions

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Mega Millions

On the the tail end of free (or not) television licences for the over 75s, there are now real rumbles about how much the BBC are paying it's top earners - and so there should be, but who do these people think they are to be worth so much.

Bradley Walsh for example is reported to be one of the highest earners pocketing an eye-watering £5million a year. What on earth do they spend it on, and why as BBC employees are they exempt from paying for that licence?

PS. I might have made that last bit up. Roll_eyes

45 REPLIES 45
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Mega Millions

For a BBC employee Walsh seems to appear a lot of time on  ITV......

( i think a lot of his money comes from his own production companies )

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The BBC seem to be already spending the imaginary windfall from the end the free licence.

BBC pay

The excuse being the "market rate". Do those in charge really think that all the so called stars could simply step into a similarly highly paid job elsewhere. Or is it the more the stars get paid the easier it is to justify their own pay

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

That being the case then given the BBC pays him £5m, he must be earning even more. 

All human nature I guess and I'm one of them, but I'd be hard put to justify my earnings at that rate when those paying me are trying to charge pensioners over 75 for that licence. Piers Morgan was on about it this morning and that guy is by his own admission worth a mega mint - but to what end and to what purpose other than greed not need. I'd not sleep well at nights that's for sure, but earning so much perhaps they do.

In the meantime, I'm off to see if my old banger will get through yet another MOT.   Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The BBC is not paying him £5m. The top earner at the BBC is Gary Lineker who is paid £1.75m. Maybe Walsh works for ITV, check it out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7204035/Gary-Lineker-revealed-BBCs-highest-earner-three-fem...

Where does the £5m figure fro Walsh come from?

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Wouldn't pay Ant or Dec in brass washers, just glorified continuity announcers - but minus the talent....how they keep getting awards is a big mystery.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

I got it from the Sun and yeh, I know.

Anyway whichever and whatever way you square it, all these 'stars' are earning far more than makes sense. One million, ten million it's all crazy even if we do not know the true figure. Let's say Walsh is earning £500,000 a year?

So that's OK then, and means he can aford to buy a good nudge over three thousand television licences. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that Bradley Walsh was in Dr. Who which is a BBC production, but now that I see the source was the Sun I'm off to get some salt.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Out of interest, I take it that if we do not watch BBC then we do not have to pay for it, So how do we disable our televisions in order to make it impossible to view whilst allowing access to all else that's streaming in to our homes by whatever route.

Might be simple, so assume that I'm stupid. Crazy3

One thing that is not two, and that is the BBC is not value for money - well not mine anyway.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Nope, the licence is to (legally) allow you to watch television broadcasts on a device.

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to this article @PeeGee it means that the license is only applicable to the BBC so if you tweak your TV like @Minivanman suggest to prevent it from receiving BBC signals do you still need a license? I'd venture the answer would be no. But others will argue what is to stop you undoing it, so you must still buy one.

Highlighted
All Star

@Anonymous  I hope youre not going to do something illegal and go to a shop and pinch some salt!!!!!WinkCheesyRoll_eyes

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not entirely @TTman I went to the local cafe and got salt, pepper and various small sachets of sauce. Grin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

That's how understood it @Anonymous - so how are we supposed to 'tweak it' so that our devices can't receive BBC?

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

Remember that Bradley Walsh was in Dr. Who which is a BBC production,

The days of broadcasters making their own programs are long gone.

Most TV series now are made by production companies who are commissioned by the main channels, so I guess you don't have to be on BBC payroll to appear in programs broadcast by them.

ITV owns part of the company who make Poldark for BBC.

Doc Martin is made by a company owned by Martin Clunes and his wife, not ITV.  . 

The high earners on TV are show presenters, newscasters and people like Lineker who do sports ''punditing'...