cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meetings

deekay
Grafter

Meetings

We read in the EOD reports of staff having been in London all day for meetings.
I have recently read of a new-fangled hi-tech thingy which, if I remember correctly, is called The Internet. With it, one can send information to others who do not even need to be in the same country!!!
Apparently, part of this Internet is something called Video Conferencing. All one needs is a webcam, a microphone and speakers/headset, and a connection to the Internet. Using this, you could hold your meeting from the comfort of your office or even your home. Doesn't it sound marvellous?
The upside is that you wouldn't have to get up at 4am to catch the train to London.
The downside is that you would miss out on breakfast on the train going down and dinner coming back up to Sheffield. Also, you would miss out on the chance of doing a bit of shopping in London. However, the greatest downside is probably that if you fall asleep on the train, you may miss the London stop and wake up in the channel tunnel with next stop Paris.
Hoping this information may be of interest.  Wink
By the way, the above is obviously meant as humorous. But seriously, do you do video conferencing at all or do you find it better to be at the meetings?
I'm retired now, but when I was at work I fairly regularly went to London to see the London based staff. This was before the days of the internet. It was very strange, but Manchester was further from London, than London was from Manchester. This must have been the case, as we Manchester people were expected to be in London for a 9-30am meeting, whereas the London people couldn't possibly get to Manchester for a meeting before 11am!
Cheers.
Keith.
4 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Re: Meetings

Videoconferencing is great, but face-2-face meetings are a lot better.  Especially when there are multiple people involved.  You need to be able to read body language as well as what people are saying.
Since London is only a couple of hours on the train from Sheffield, I think I'd prefer that personally.
Community Veteran

There's no doubt that video conferencing has its uses, but often there's no better alternative than meeting up and "pressing the flesh".  Cheesy
As for the different time zones, between London and Manchester I suppose it's possible that the train timetable may have had something to do with it, or the fact that the London people had to get into London first, before getting the train to Manchester.  Many people spend an hour travelling into London for work.  (I know. I don't understand it either, but it is the case) Grin
John
James
Grafter

No, I'd always advocate face to face communication over videoconferencing.
I worked for PlusNet for my first 6 months from home and definitely struggling with the lack of "human" contact!
Fixes: 47

I've commented before in the forum about the misunderstandings that occur due to the absence of body language. No amount of emoticons can replace that.
Even when facial expressions and vocal inflections are present, as can be the case with high quality video conferencing equipment, misunderstandings still happen.
Admittedly even with face to face meetings problems do arise but it's often down to an intransigent stance by one or more persons present. 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation