Medical Screw-Up's

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Medical Screw-Up's

Hi All
From my forum at: http://www.dhea-forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,743.msg971.html
Hi All
My lass Angela got a blood test by a nurse at a Medical Centre in Middlesbrough on 5th January 2011 at 14:40 the next day she had a massive bruise, see Photo

Do you know of any more medical screw-up's?

dick:blue Medical Centre name removed to avoid any possibility of legal action.
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Medical Screw-Up's

I think you are over reacting in calling the bruise a medical screw up Gary.  When blood is taken bruising sometimes occurs and it can be severe in some people.  It will disappear in due course.  If you have any concerns go to your surgery and speak with a nurse.
johpal
Grafter

I object to the term "Medical Screw-Up's", especially for something as minor as bruising after a blood test. The damage would not have been intentional and may be caused by any number of pre-existing medical conditions. Inserting a needle into a vein causes some physical damage, but when it is removed, the application of gentle pressure for a minute, or so, is usually sufficient for the blood to clot around the puncture and prevent further leakage of blood into the surrounding tissues. Depending on individual patients, for any number of reasons, a small leakage of blood may cause bruising as shown. It may be uncomfortable for a day, or so, but should resolve within a week or 10 days.
Medical interventions, however minor, carry an element of risk. If you cannot accept this, you can work out the alternative!
Fixes: 125

I've seen and personally experienced far worse than this. When my dad was seriously ill last year nearly all his lower arm and hand was a bruise where they had trouble finding a suitable vein.
Really looks worse than it is. Also, some people seem more susceptible to bruising than others - I follow my mother in that respect.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I've had bruising like that from a bloodtest, it happens, I was in no particular discomfort and no medium or long term effects manifested.
This, whatever it is, is not a medical screw up.  It happens, get over it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I agree. Its not really a screw up. If the nurse had injected the patient accidentally with something they didn't need then that would be a screw up but bruising from a needle isn't the same thing. The human body reacts differently to these things sometimes. We still don't understand why.
I've had bruising from blood tests myself. Other times I don't get a mark at all. It's just one of those things. One thing I have noticed though is that people who haven't had blood taken often will complain about it if they get a bruise purely because they instinctively think its been done wrongly.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

SWMBO always bruises like that, she has a Blood test last week by a full time phlebotomist and bruised
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Indeed, SWMBO has many blood tests/injections etc. she bruises very very easily, her arms can be black and blue simply trying to find a vein. Never occurred to us it was maltreatment, quite the reverse never had anything but great care from the NHS.
Recall, she required a deep vein blood test that was supposed to be taken from near the base of her thumb. I have never seen my wife in such agony during this attempt, the nurse was in tears. The attempt was called off. Her hand and wrist were black for a month afterwards.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Having had a few dozen blood tests over the past couple of years I'd  agree that bruising isn't a medical screw-up.
Sometimes there's hardly a mark and other times one bruises badly. Just one of those things that happens.
Fixes: 105

my bruise was bigger than you bruise :-p
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

I think it's probably a combination of person and phlebotomist. The company I worked at had 5/6 employees trained as phlebotomist to take blood from other employees on a regular basis, every 2 weeks or so. The employees that bruised easily found that it was worst with some phlebotomist then others, so they tended to only give blood when the other phlebotomist were on duty.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I had one at a hospital years ago which was a bit nasty. They tried to get blood from me and couldn't. Tried several times and then quite literally hit a nerve in my arm. The pain went right up and down my arm like an instantaneous shock wave. It was like the toothache from hell going up and down the arm instantly. It was so bad it sent me into a dizzy spin with a light head and freezing cold sweat. Terrifying. That'll teach me for not eating early  enough  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

I was in hospital and had an operation, that night in bed I thought something was wrong with my stomach, it was very hard and didn't feel right so I called a nurse who said "probably just constipation" and went away.  I was still worried so called them back and asked for a doctor, turned out the anaesthetic from the operation had knocked out my stomach so I wasn't allowed to eat and a drip was put into my arm.
My mother came to visit (was 70 miles from home, so a long way away) and when visiting a doctor game along and changed the needle thing in my arm, I was chatting away with my mother and she said "is your arm supposed to look like that?" I had a look and my arm had swollen to the size of a car (slight exaggeration there), turns out the doctor had missed the vein so the drip was just feeding it's fluids into my arm and making it swell up like a beach ball.  Needless to say a nurse came along and fixed it up for me, it did bruise pretty badly but the moral of the story?  Nurses do an amazing job, never let a doctor take blood or stick in a needle, they are really quite bad at it.
Do I think it was a medical screw-up?  Not really, it's just a doctor being a doctor, although the nurse who tried to have a look at my chest drain by raising it up.... Consider a chest drain like, umm, getting petrol out of a car tank, you suck on one end, petrol comes out and you can drain it using gravity, but if you were to put the tune above the petrol then gravity would push all the yucky fluids from the chest drain back into my chest!  Not nice!  How on earth do the people in casualty just lay there smiling when people put a chest drain in after a pneumothorax?  Them things really hurt going in and they don't just slide it in, oh no, they push it in an inch, wait, another inch, wait... feels like it takes hours to push that tube in and every single push is like child birth in the lungs.
jmd
Grafter

I think it varies according to the blood-taker - some are more competent than others so do in such away to avoid brusing - others do not seem to worry about the effect on the patient!  and this goes for whoever is doing it whether it be doctor, nurse of phlebotomist [or whatever they are called!]
and that goes for other medical proceedures too!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi all, the phlebotomist that did this to my lass and the Dr. knows that Angela has has unreliable & fragile veins.
[quote="From Wikipedia: Venipuncture"]
Venipuncture with needle and syringe
Some health care workers prefer to use a syringe-needle technique for Venipuncture. Sarstedt manufactures a blood-drawing system S-Monovette that uses this principal.  This method can be preferred on elderly patients, oncology patients, severely burned patients, obese patients or patients with unreliable or fragile veins.  Because syringes are manually operated, the amount of suction applied may be easily controlled.  This is particularly helpful with patients that have small veins that collapse under the suction of an evacuated tube.  In children or other circumstances where the quantity of blood gained may be limited it can be helpful to know how much blood can be obtained before distributing it amongst the various additives that the laboratory will require.

My Bold
Thay should not be using evacuated tube system on Angela, the bruise has lasted for nearly one month.