cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media coverage

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Media coverage

Please don't get me wrong. I have every sympathy with the family, relations and friends of Jo Yates. Any murder is a sad tragedy. But can anybody tell me why this one is getting so much media coverage.
Murders, while fortunately fairly rare are not entirely unknown. My local monthly news magazine almost always reports a couple, but that is usually the extent of media interest.
Indeed a quite gruesome premeditated killing occurred not much more than a half mile from where I'm typing this last year. But apart from a few lines in the local paper it passed off almost unnoticed.
So what is so different about this one?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Media coverge

She has a pretty face
Community Veteran

I agree with you Petlew.  Very tragic when anyone is murdered but hard to understand why some get maximum publicity and others get none.  However, I'm sure the Police are grateful for the extra coverage this case is attracting.
I think one of the more notable cases is the missing daughter of the McCains.  Even after a few years this case still attracts attention in the media.  The fact that the parents are professionals has a lot to do with this I think. They even had a PR man working for them at one time.
Community Veteran

Family money helps
Being a female victim helps
Being attractive helps
Being a child helps (remember Jo Yates since hitting news has always been portrayed as the child of her parents, and not whoever else she was)
Being white helps
Being middle class helps
I'm sure there are other factors too, from how the police first talk about the case to the press, through to a slow day for news, but a young, attractive, white female with loving parents and nice steady background is always going to be more interesting to the press than any other set.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Media coverage

I'm led to believe that most murders occur within families. Cold-blooded, single random victim killings are much rarer. How often do you see a press conference with near family flanking the investigating officer. Then later one of those grieving family are seen to be the murderer.
This of course leaves aside serial murders by some deranged maniac, fairly often by a "crusader" trying to clear the streets of "ladies of the night"
I think at one stage police were trying to connect Jo Yates with another unsolved murder of some years ago. But it seems to have gone cold about that for the time being.
And no! I don't have some perverse kink about following this coverage, its just difficult to ignore at the moment with most TV news stations leading with it in their programmes.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

My first thought was that the boyfriend had better have a cast iron alibi judging by previous cases
I did feel sorry for the poor old landlord who appeared to have been targeted because he was a queer old cove and has been pilloried in the press (of course if he did it that would change my opinion very quickly)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I asked the SO this very question today too. While I feel very sorry for the girl I can't see why her story is so much more important than any other murder - Oh hang on.. she'd just graduated so I guess that means she's worth the attention?
I certainly don't think she's all that pretty tbh so I can't see it being anything to do with that. One theory I do have is that its because it happened at christmas and the news didn't have many serious stories to report. Once they've made a big fuss they can't drop it suddenly when the wind changes can they - they've got to keep us informed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
pilloried in the press

Agree with  posts, sympathies are for the family (and victim), but please give them some peace and space and respect them in their grief.
Can't help but think the 'news' engine (i.e. the media) has got too big for the available news, with every reporter,  commentator, blogger chasing every story hence over reported.
I sometimes get the impression there are more people chasing 'news' stories, than creating news stories.
News for me is now on a 'need to know basis' I don't need to know that Nigel Pargeter fell of the roof of Lower Loxley (announced on R4 07:00 news Monday). ...If you don't understand, join the club, had to ask SWMBO who Nigel Pargeter was!
Community Veteran

Well this story continues to get even more attention than any other murder for some unknown reason:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12145602
A MP has backed calls for the DNA screening of all men in Bristol as part of the hunt for the murderer of Jo Yeates.

Problem: Until the murderer is found, how do we know it was a man? - Thats a presumption and those are known to be frequently wrong. For all we know it could be a woman.
Miss Yeates' body was found at the roadside on Christmas Day eight days after she was reported missing.

So the murderer could now be miles away as they clearly have transport making upsetting the local population by testing every single male rather pointless. Additionally how do you test the men you don't have recorded? - like immigrants who all crowd themselves into one flat where there's only 2 occupants officially registered?
I certainly agree that if there was a national database of DNA then this case would no doubt be far easier to solve but to put every man under the spotlight in one city is a bit obsurd.
This is the problem with MPs - she thinks that testing everyone in her area will get a result and she'll be MP of the century. She doesn't realise that the police are professionals trained in dealing with these cases and that having every man in the area tested would severely overload their resources.
Community Veteran

I've got an idea: While every male in the city is in giving a DNA sample, why don't they just interview them all under caution! Oh wait, you need some sort of evidence before you can interview under PACE.  Why treat every male (or female) as a suspect without any evidence at all.  This is the thin edge of a very dangerous wedge.
The final stage is an acceptance that everyone is guilty of something, and the police should be able to hold you in custody until they find out what it is.
John
Community Veteran

Yes and that is exactly what I'm trying to get at (without being the first because I'll start sounding like thisoldman).
The law in this country is gradually becoming one of everyone is guilty of something until proven innocent.
What annoys me more now is the latest that off-road cars must be kept insured soon even if its not being used. The arguement being that:
A Department for Transport source said: ‘At present, having no insurance is only an offence once the driver gets behind the wheel.'

So what? All it will do is add another charge to the list of those who don't abide while making life harder for everyone else.
alanb
Grafter

I agree with everything you've said here okrzynska.
I feel a little sorry for the people of Bristol. They seem to have elected a party drone and a bit of dud MP. Kerry McCarthy is the one who was arrested last year after the general election for releasing voting numbers on Twitter before the official results were ready. She is supposed to be a qualified solicitor and, despite having worked for the Labour Party's legal department, she claimed that she had no idea that what she had done was illegal. Presumably she will have had her own DNA recorded following her arrest, and I can only assume that this has blinded her to the iniquity of calling for mass DNA sampling of innocent people.
nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that I'm not happy when a tabloid offers £50,000 reward. IMHO it's purely to get publicity for them and they don't really expect to pay out the money.
Community Veteran

@alanb: Thats very interesting info you have provided. It also seems to prove my theory that when the MPs get treated badly (in her case DNA being taken when arrested) that they decide to punish the rest of us.
A long time ago when the expenses scandal came up I said to the SO that the press would get away with it for a while and then the MPs would turn it around on the population and take revenge. Sure enough now we're all being forced to pay more for less and the reality is that we don't need such drastic cuts to repay the debt in x amount of years, we just need sensible cuts so the debt is repaid reasonably. No, the MPs know best and they start slashing every thing in a wild frenzy after having been caught on the hop.
alanb
Grafter

Bristol police tell Bristol MP to get on her bike!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/10/bristol_dna_test/
There are some interesting opinions on the reader's comments page too.
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/01/10/bristol_dna_test/