cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measles Outbreak Strikes Across UK

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Measles Outbreak Strikes Across UK

Britain is facing a measles outbreak with nearly more cases reported in the first three months of this year than the whole of 2010.
The rise has sparked health officials to urge eveyone to ensure they are immunised against the potentially deadly infection.
Data from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) revealed 334 confirmed cases of measles to the end of April in England and Wales - compared with 374 in all of last year.
London was the worst affected area, with 104 cases, while the North East of England and Wales fared best with no cases reported.
Small outbreaks have been noted in universities, schools and within individual families while some people caught the disease abroad as Europe faced a surge in measles cases.

More here...http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-UK-Facing-Measles-Outbreak-With-Nearly-More-Cases-In-The-First-Three-Months-Than-la/Article/201105416000672?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16000672_Video%3A_UK_Facing_Measles_Outbreak_With_Nearly_More_Cases_In_The_First_Three_Months_Than_la
8 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Measles Outbreak Strikes Across UK

I had measles wen I was a child, I fort that measles was wiped out in this country back in the 1980's?  so it is back again, that is not good.   Sad
Community Veteran

I think the rise could be due to parents not getting their children immunised because of the bad publicity surrounding the MMR vaccine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@artmo, think your right, but also
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13561766
The outbreak is thought to be linked to an epidemic in France, where 7,000 cases have been reported since January - more than in the whole of 2010

Community Veteran

I wonder what the vaccination policy is in France Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran

Britain is facing a measles outbreak with nearly more cases reported in the first three months of this year than the whole of 2010

"Nearly more".  Is that the same as "almost as many"?
It's really bad that measles is making a come back.  It's a very dangerous illness.  Those scaremongers who whinged on about the MMR in order to boost their own public profile, really have a lot to answer for.  Perhaps they can be made to face those parents whose children have suffered permanent brain damage from measles, and explain their reasoning  Angry
John
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I had German measles when I was a lad, Never knew I had them until one morning I opened my fathers living room curtains before he woke up and I was nearly blinded, All I saw was a white flash, Scary, Never knew how serious It was until the doc told me.
jmd
Grafter

I had measles quite severely as a child and apparently that is why I lost the ability to hear high pitch sounds in my late 30s due to the damage to the nerves in my ear.  So I always advocated immunisation to any friend's who were  considering it for their children.
tinto
Grafter

When I was  a child in the 1940's there were no MMR jabs, and it was common for parents to take their kids to visit others with measles in the hope  that they'd catch it too and get immunity thereafter.  It wasn't considered too serious an illness for children at that time, compared with some of the others going about anyway, but it was invariably fatal in adults