cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McD's chips

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

McD's chips

Grant Imahara (Mythbusters) seems to be running series of docutisement videos for McDonalds the burger people. He mentions the chips (french fries) are fried in Canola Oil. In the UK we know this as Rapeseed oil. Extracted by crushing Rape Seed this oil has to be treated to remove toxins and a bitter taste before it can be used for catering. The plant is a member of the Mustard plant species, the oil extracted from this family contains toxins (erucic acid).
There are so many other types of oil which could be used for frying chips, but also Beef Dripping is the only way chips should be deep fried.  Presumably using Canola increases McD's profits by a couple of pennies per portion.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: McD's chips

If I put on my multi-national sarcastic hat.
I would say that rapeseed oil is grade C1 canola oil.
Yes I know that may not make a lot of sense.

Just that a spade should be called a spade and as we are in Britain rapeseed oil will always be rapeseed oil just like paraffin will always be paraffin.
Adopting other countries names for some things can be confusing and possibly dangerous to your health.
Fixes: 125

Either way UK's McD's chips feel like cardboard and taste like shit Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

20th November 2011, that was the last time I assaulted my digestive tract to McNasties "food", doesn't matter what they fry in, I'm not going near anything of theirs again cos it was just plain foul...
(I only remember that date cos it was 2 days before moving from Lancashire to here, all the food in the house was packed, it was 4 in the morning, McDisgustings was open 24hrs and only 15 minutes walk away, should have gone to Asda instead)
Community Veteran

Can't remember how many years since I've stepped in a McDonalds. Must be more than a couple of decades.
If I remember right it was for a egg muffin thing. Only because I had a free coupon and I happened to be walking past one of their places.

Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
Either way UK's McD's chips feel like cardboard and taste like [Censored] Roll eyes

They must be an acquired taste then and I have duly acquired  Smiley
As I stated in a recent questionnaire: Food, to me is a source of energy and nutrients. If it tastes good then that's a bonus.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
... Canola Oil. In the UK we know this as Rapeseed oil. ...

Hmm ... That's interesting.
About a year ago I searched in vain online and in several supermarkets for a source of Canola oil in the UK.  The reason being that I had discovered that the shredder oil supplied by several manufacturers was Canola oil and I figured it would be cheaper to buy a bottle of that than pay the extortionate prices charged for their 'Shredder Oil'.
Unfortunately I ended up paying the rip-off price of about £7.00 for a small 12oz./355ml bottle of 'Fellowes' Shredder Oil from Amazon (can't remember if that included postage).  Although I don't use/need much of the stuff I begrudge paying that price.
Apparently the reason for using Canola oil rather than other vegetable oils was the fact that most of them go rancid and/or gum up, so when my Fellowes bottle is empty I'll refill it with the best Rapeseed oil I can find and try that.  Smiley
Community Veteran

The difference between "Canola" (which is an Acronym for CANadian Oil Low Acid) and proper Rapeseed oil is the breeding, Canola seed has been bred to produce lower levels of Erucic acid (about 2%-5%), whereas proper Rapeseed oil has higher levels of this acid (up to 54%) , there are claims about negative health effects of the acid that when consumed can apparently damage cardiac muscle tissue...
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

They must be an acquired taste then and I have duly acquired  Smiley
As I stated in a recent questionnaire: Food, to me is a source of energy and nutrients. If it tastes good then that's a bonus.

Did I see you down our local Mc D's Strat?  Grin
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

There is a McDonalds 5 minutes away from where I live.
Last time I went would be April 2014.  I got a McMuffin and pancakes.
Alright quality, but I don't get MD very often.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris

Did I see you down our local Mc D's

I wonder what is on his left hand side?
Cocacola?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Pull a finger.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: twocvbloke
20th November 2011, that was the last time I assaulted my digestive tract to McNasties "food", doesn't matter what they fry in, I'm not going near anything of theirs again cos it was just plain foul...
(I only remember that date cos it was 2 days before moving from Lancashire to here, all the food in the house was packed, it was 4 in the morning, McDisgustings was open 24hrs and only 15 minutes walk away, should have gone to Asda instead)
Oddly enough our local Asda has a Mc Donalds and years ago we had a long power cut so went to McD for our tea, never again, the buns were soggy and the almost cold chips were like, disgusting.
Never been since
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: NorthEasterner
There is a McDonalds 5 minutes away from where I live.
Last time I went would be April 2014.  I got a McMuffin and pancakes.
Alright quality, but I don't get MD very often.
NE

Must be said i used to enjoy McDonalds and to a point, when i'm dragged there i still do however i don't really feel bothered about their food like i did in my younger years. Not sure if thats because i've grown out of it or realised that their food is just the scraps of the food industry but one thing is for sure i could certainly live without it now quite easily.
The same applies to KFC too. I used to once enjoy their food and although i still do like a fillet burger on the rare occassion, i'm not really fussed about it. Burger King for some reason I prefer to the former two however their prices are enough to put me and the missus off lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
The same applies to KFC too. I used to once enjoy their food

When they first appeared their chicken used to have a lovely savoury sort of stuffiny coating.
Plus they had some tasty ribs as well.