cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea

We have three chickens in our garden. They have their own run and keep us stocked with fresh brown eggs. As a treat, they just love dried meal-worms. Our stock of this treat was running low so I ordered 10 litres of the dried beetle larvae via the internet from a UK supplier. As an extra treat for the hens I added a request for a box of live crickets. Our chucks love catching invertebrates. This morning the parcel arrived, properly labelled and on time.

I then made a big mistake! I opened the parcel on our kitchen table. Unfortunately the lid on the live cricket box had become detached during transit.

SWMBO is less than amused at cricket chirp noises emanating from the dark recesses of our kitchen. It didn't calm the waters when I suggested we let the chickens loose in the kitchen to track down the crickets.

I guess this episode will follow me to the grave.  Have any of you had similar "great ideas"?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Maybe it wasn't such a good idea

AlaricAdair wrote:

Have any of you had similar "great ideas"?

Was out in the shed last week going through some of the old tins of paint to see what was liquid and what wasn't, simple way to test, shake 'em, 'til I got to one which was a plastic container (eco friendly you see, using plastic that breaks down and falls apart versus metal which lasts for years upon years without failing), shakey shakey splurge.......... Shocked

Damned thing's lid wasn't that tight, and of course, I shook paint all over the workbench, up the window covering (keeps the nosey locals from seeing in), over my freshly rebuilt hedge trimmer and over my lovely Honda generator... Roll eyes

Good job it's water-based though, didn't really bother with cleanup, just grabbed the sweeping brush from an AWOL dustpan and spread the paint over the workbench, so it's all nice and bright, well, light-grey, though it won't be for long I'm sure... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

AlaricAdair wrote:

I then made a big mistake! I opened the parcel on our kitchen table. Unfortunately the lid on the live cricket box had become detached during transit.

SWMBO is less than amused at cricket chirp noises emanating from the dark recesses of our kitchen. It didn't calm the waters when I suggested we let the chickens loose in the kitchen to track down the crickets.

Surprised that you didn`t entitle this thread....  " It`s just not cricket, is it ........  !  "

Minivanman
Hero

@twocvbloke

In my brick built man cave/shed couple of months back grabbing hold of an almost full 5 litre tub of fence paint. Lid slipped off and the entire lot all over the floor just missing my tool box. No chance of cleaning up so moved what I could out of the way and tipped a three quarter bag of old cement over it. Raked, spread over, left for a couple of weeks and was able to shovel up the by now soggy congealed mess into one of those large blue IKEA bags...... then it was off to the local recycling centre and tipped the lot into a builder's rubble skip.

Back to the shed for a bit of mopping........ Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Pro

I once took a swig at my pint glass of juice ( not beer ) and forgot to open my mouth. Does that count? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Steve wrote:

Does that count? 

No, it just means you have a drinking problem...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

AlaricAdair wrote:

I guess this episode will follow me to the grave.  Have any of you had similar "great ideas"?

Oh yes.. you know heinz ketchup can be a bit of a pain to get flowing right.. .well more than once i've failed to screw the lid back on properly and given it the shaking of its life. I'll leave you to imagine how people, furniture and paint on the walls looked after. As if doing it once wasn't enough i've done it 3 times in total and only then learned my lesson.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

@AlaricAdair

You do realise you are spoiling those chickens? Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

What spoiling those chickens who won't eat pellet feed and demand wild bird seed mix? If I ever dared to calculate the full cost I'd not be surprised at a £1 per egg, but they have great flavour. Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Once upon a time we used to have whippets. Our neighbours used to have chickens. Our dogs dug a hole under the fence. Our neighbours no longer had chickens.
Fixes: 47

A neighbour of mine had two greyhounds.

One day a friend and I offered to take them for a walk in the local park.

The owner gave us one piece of advice which was 'before you let them off the lead make sure there are no other dogs in sight'.

Needless to say we forgot as they seemed so well behaved.

Once off the lead both dogs took off like supercharged missiles straight for a Poodle and a Jack Russell which took off in the opposite direction as fast as their little legs would allow, followed more slowly by their owners who weren't best pleased.

Much to our relief the Greyhounds got bored and returned to us where we quickly snapped on their leads.

We took them back to their home where the owner asked if there was any problems to which we replied "everything's fine, they had a great time" Lips are sealed

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation