cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max & Kerra's Law

artmo
Community Veteran

Max & Kerra's Law

Matt Hancock, Minister fir Health, was on the radio this morning talking about Max & Kerra's Law. As from 20th May we move to an 'Opt Out' whereby it will be assumed that we all give consent for our organs to be used when we die unless we opt out.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-laws/organ-donation-law-in-england/

This is already the case in Wales and will be law in Scotland later this year.

Hancock said it will increase the number of lives saved of people waiting for organ transplants.

I think this is a positive move.

60 REPLIES 60
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Max & Kerra's Law

Positive in some ways.. not in others.

What happens when you're on life support, YOU as the person on it want to live (or did when you were conscious) but the NHS decide "oh, we might as well turn off that one and take the organs". That then becomes murder.

How many times have we heard of people in a coma waking up after years? - How many times have we heard of people breathing and eventually waking up after life support was withdrawn?

Sorry but giving the NHS which has been using infected blood in the past, causing death of babies, dictating which pensioners will or won't be revived... how is giving them the lawful authority to kill someone the right thing to do?

I'll be opting out. I don't suppose that'll stop them either - once it's done and mine (or someone elses opt out) then comes to light it'll be "oh well this was clearly a tragic case" and it'll be swept under the carpet.

Sorry but NO I do not want my organs donated unless i've died naturally... but they don't give you that choice do they.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Looking at it from a more morbid point of view....who owns your body when you die ?

I would assume it becomes the property of your relatives so should they not be consulted ?

True they are under no obligation to honour any wishes you may have made whilst still alive, if the first sentence is correct then surely they need permission ?

Anything that can save someone's life is a good thing and whilst I personally would have no objections to any of my parts used by someone else to give them a better life I do have concerns where private patients might jump the queue to get a body part or where a part was used inappropriately.

Most will remember a certain footballer who had a problem with alcohol but still continued to drink despite having a transplant.

There have also been cases where people have come from abroad on a private basis and had transplants....so yes I support the change in the law providing it includes safeguards to stop the system from being abused.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

There are risks, but we have to have systems in place to minimise them. I don't think we should become emotional, but need to balance the likely future of potential donor against the donee's.

My organs they can have, but I don't think there'll be any bids.🤣

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

I do have concerns where private patients might jump the queue to get a body part or where a part was used inappropriately.

Most will remember a certain footballer who had a problem with alcohol but still continued to drink despite having a transplant.

There have also been cases where people have come from abroad on a private basis and had transplants....so yes I support the change in the law providing it includes safeguards to stop the system from being abused.

Which is what i was pointing out. There won't be any safeguards - not until something goes wrong, the media get involved, start highlighting how the system was abused etc.. and then every MP will be all over it supporting change, how was this ever allowed to happen etc. 

We've seen it so many times. MPs are either completely clueless about technicalities and safeguards or they just don't care when they bring in new laws for new problems. Right now social workers are being paid commission for rehousing children with gay / lesbian couples - and so in some circumstances they've taken children away from parents for trivial reasons - all so they can have their commission - the childs mental health and distress becomes irrelevant..Look at all the care homes for children where abuse went on.. and was completely ignored by the state. Look at all the sex abuse cases coming out now against high ranking people / celebrities..

In principle yes it's a good thing.. but there will be abuse of this.

A few years back one organ donor who had cancer managed to spread cancer to other people too. Something you should all keep in mind as cancer is more of a pandemic than coronavirus could be.

Before any of you poo-hoo this claim of cancer being spread by donation:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6160259/Three-people-died-breast-cancer-caught-organ-dono...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6793119/Liver-transplant-toddler-battles-cancer-came-new-or...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3738341/Hundreds-receive-transplants-patients-previously-ca...

What also worries me is deliberate allowance of death for an organ - eg prisoners, pensioners and anyone else who isn't of value / status to the state. What happens if they're admitted to hospital (eg after being stabbed) and someone somewhere decides they "won't survive" ? - You won't get to appeal once you're dead.

What happens if a member of royalty or an MP needs a transplant urgently and you're the one in the weakest medical and financial position and you're geographically closest?

Sorry but for the time being i will be opting out - until the first few abuse scandals come to light and safeguards are put into place I will not consent to my body being harvested.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

It is indeed the case here in Wales, and while it's a good thing, it's not a good thing to take without asking your relatives what your wishes were. Opting out is not what I want to do, but I resent the presumption of consent.

I did suggest to one company that was making those donor wrist bands that they might like to consider producing one that said "Don't just take, ask". They said they'd think about it. 😊

I also considered giving one of my kidneys away, but it seems once you are past 60 (I think I have that right) then they don't want it!  As for the rest of my old bits when I'm dead and gone, I'm not sure what use they'd be to anybody quite honestly although composting seems to be taking off in the States

"A new form of eco-burial was just legalized in Washington State. But will consumers be able to overcome the psychological hurdle of putting soil made from Grandma into the asparagus patch?"

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/09/02/everything-youre-afraid-to-ask-about-human-composting

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

What do you mean by "Don't just take, ask", if your brown bread then you won't be able to answer. Nor do I think your relatives should be asked either. If you are willing to be broken for spares then that's good and your decision should be recorded somewhere with no-one able to reverse it. As the presumption is that you donate, which I think is good idea, then it is down to you to opt out it's your body after all.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Once I'm dead they can do as they please with my body, I won't be needing it any more...

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... 😂

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

It was 'don't take, ask' the relatives and in the same way the donor wrist band is giving permission. As said, don't mind giving but it has to be something that has been agreed.

What are we moving towards here, state surveillance while you are alive followed by state ownership when you are dead. Seems like.

I've heard of 'grab a granny' night, but this? 😛

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

followed by state ownership when you are dead.

Oh we're all owned by the state, after all, they paid for our education and our medical system and our emergency services and all that, so therefore they own us... 🤣

(Of course they forget that we the people own them as we pay their salaries and expenses and lifestyles through taxation!!!)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

"I'm not a number, I'm a free man!"

Patrick McGoohan (1967) for the youngsters around here. 😉

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've always wondered did they have a discussion around a big table before finally deciding to go with number six.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

If 'they' are going to have first dibs on our bodies it's only right that 'they' contribute to funeral/cremation costs.

I can just imagine what will happen; " There you go missus, we've had the bits of him that we needed, you can have this lot that's left over back to get rid of (at a cost of £X,000)"

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Mrs Minivanman plans to have me stuffed and then stuck in the broom cupboard a la Jeremy Bentham.

Any discussion thereafter about politics, religion or the price of carrots and she'd wheel me out just to enjoy my silence.

All well and good just so long as I can keep my hat on, the trouble is I don't necessarily have to be dead first.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 19

I shall stipulate that any useful organ goes to a NHS patient.

I'm not for sale to private medicine - even in bits.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."