Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max & Kerra's Law

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Max & Kerra's Law

Only NHS patients?

The father of a friend of ours left his body to 'medical science' and it was several years before she got back what was left in a small box the contents of which she then had cremated.

True story, and just a little sad I thought.

I doubt they'll want any of my body parts for anything, so it will be straight down to the crem no stopping and definitely no service for me. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@VileReynard wrote:

I shall stipulate that any useful organ goes to a NHS patient.

I'm not for sale to private medicine - even in bits.

You realise that NHS only thing can be worked around in so many ways right?

Firstly you can't actually specify who gets your organs - they don't allow for that.

Secondly EVERYONE in the country is an NHS patient - private patients are still NHS patients and thus there is a workaround there too.

Did you know that if you have private surgery and something goes wrong, they'll call for an ambulance and transfer you to an NHS hospital for emergency surgery / treatment? - Many private hospitals while equiped for routine stuff don't have the same emergency facilities as an NHS hospital does so if you're on the table and something goes wrong that they weren't expecting, you'll probably wake up in an NHS hospital - where your "NHS patients only" criteria would yet again fit the bill.

Like I said, i'll be opting out. I know i sound selfish and in theory the default organ donation thing is a great idea but until they put safeguards in place to protect the vulnerable from being abused, i won't be treated like a crop for harvesting.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

It is selfish to with-hold your organs if they could be used elsewhere.

Have you thought of getting a "Lasting Power of Attourney (LPA) Personal Welfare"?

"A Personal welfare LPA gives your attorney the power to make decisions about your daily routine (washing, dressing, eating), medical care, moving into a care home and life-sustaining medical treatment. It can only be used if you're unable to make your own decisions."

You get to choose who your attourney(s) will be.

Might keep you out of a care home a bit longer!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Not so fast with the selfish.

There could be both medical, religious and philosophical reasons why you would not wish to donate, and whilst personally I have no problem but only if they ask, not everybody is comfortable with bits being kept, or being kept alive after they are dead.

Let's not make others feel guilty for not sharing themselves or their loved ones.

As for permission not being given, some here might remember the Alder Hey scandal back in the late 80s involving the removal and retention of children's organs. Presumed consent?

Let's not go there again, and let's not call people selfish for not wanting to is all I'm saying. 😐

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Fair point.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I used to give blood until they stopped collecting in this area.  My reasoning was that if I should need an infusion I had no right to expect one unless I was prepared to donate.

Whilst I respect other people's right to opt out, I would certainly like a kidney or other organ should I need one, so I can't really deprive other people of the benefit of having part of my body after death.  As I'm soon to become a full-time pensioner there may be limits to what is still of use, but I don't think I'll opt out.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

It is selfish to with-hold your organs if they could be used elsewhere.

Have you thought of getting a "Lasting Power of Attourney (LPA) Personal Welfare"?

"A Personal welfare LPA gives your attorney the power to make decisions about your daily routine (washing, dressing, eating), medical care, moving into a care home and life-sustaining medical treatment. It can only be used if you're unable to make your own decisions."

You get to choose who your attourney(s) will be.

Might keep you out of a care home a bit longer!

Thing is foxy my old mate, the NHS have a track record of doing people over - look at the tainted blood scandal for instance.

Like i've also said elsewhere, whats to stop the NHS prioritising who is more important? - How many elderly patients do they do this for daily with "Do Not Resuscitate" instructions? - How many times might they start doing this to less valuable members of society in preference of doctors, MPs, royalty, armed forces, geography teachers...

Lasting power of attorney can still be abused. Doctors can be clever at manipulating people and that's why I will officially opt out and make that known. Giving LPA to someone who can be influenced is pointless and from my POV, the weaker protection. As for being unable to make your own decisions, you can make a living will. I've done this in the past before surgery and when i requested a copy of my hospital medical records they had indeed kept this on file for future reference - along with at least one diagnosis of a health problem they never bothered to tell me about - something which has since had a health implication.

The simple fact is that you can not trust the NHS if they do not deem you worthful. I've been repeatedly asked what I do for a living and i am treated like i am worthless by them repeatedly. When my legal team instructed a barrister and initiated court action the NHS then turned around and threatened to sue ME - because they nearly killed me and left me in agony for years (and i'm the selfish one? - after they have destroyed over a decade of my life?). Then they withold information about another health problem I had no idea of - and they've been sitting on that information for years.

Sorry but while the NHS is supposedly a good thing, they are untrustable. I've made similar points for many years in relation to my local NHS trust, they nearly killed my son at birth too and they've been heavily slated in the media lately for the number of baby deaths over the years.. they're also in special measures having been ranked worst in this part of the country.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

I assume that by "the tainted blood scandal" you are referring to several thousand people getting transfusions of blood products, leading to HIV or Hepatitis in the 1970's or 1980's?

Seem to recall that it was present in blood bought from American sources(?)...

But it was a long time ago.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I think it was the US, and blood from those infected with all sorts obtained from prisoners and drug users - the latter actually selling their blood.

Apart from the scandal of trying to cover it up, to be fair it was not only the NHS that was affected. Many other countries also imported blood products from the US and all this at a time when less was known about such things as Aids and Hepatitis.

Don't know the numbers but it was far more than first admitted, and more likely to have been literally thousands rather than hundreds of long term infections as a result and of course all those untimely deaths.

I know from my own experience that the NHS are not always honest. I contracted sepsis when I was last in hospital and which I was not told about, and on a follow-up visit the examining doctor let slip that I had benign cysts on my liver and which again, I had not been told about.

I would certainly urge anybody if they have worries to obtain a full transcript of their medical records. I did, and although there was a lot in there I did not understand, I understood enough to make a reasoned judgment and it's certainly the case that people are more prepared now than they ever were, to challenge the medical profession.

There was that old joke - Who does God think he is? Answer: A doctor.

Well they are not of course they are mortals just like us and like mortals, they make mistakes.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

I assume that by "the tainted blood scandal" you are referring to several thousand people getting transfusions of blood products, leading to HIV or Hepatitis in the 1970's or 1980's?

Seem to recall that it was present in blood bought from American sources(?)...

Yes I am referring to that. Yes it was a long time ago but it still happened - by a state authority which is supposed to care. Even now the NHS tries to cover things up frequently, it's known for a bullying culture against those who raise concerns or blow the whistle and when they screw things up they are not accountable.

@Minivanman wrote:

I know from my own experience that the NHS are not always honest. I contracted sepsis when I was last in hospital and which I was not told about, and on a follow-up visit the examining doctor let slip that I had benign cysts on my liver and which again, I had not been told about.

When i was in during 2013 having nearly been killed, I ended up with Peritonitis and Sepsis at the same time - both are killers. They were honest enough about that however what they've previously been untruthful labout is my gall bladder - telling me it was fine (then later admitting it was clearly full of stones several months later) and my spine. However I also discovered that when i was in HDU and being given intravenous paracetamol they had noted that my heart would become tachycardic. At the time they assured me nothing was wrong.. everytime i had the stuff i thought i was a dead man. Eventually i worked out what was causing it and refused anymore of the stuff. When i got my hands on my medical records they had clearly noticed the link themselves but decided to carry on and not tell me - presumably because it would undermine them and make them look stupid - and that was a loss of face they weren't prepared to accept and so they put me through hell instead. This is after they'd previously left me suffering for years when there was a simple procedure available since 1980 - by their own admission.

Do I trust the NHS? No not really. I trust a few within it but as a political organisation no not at all.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

That all sounds rather rotten, but despite their failing (and boy can't the fail) that should be no reason not to donate your organs should you want to.

No point in blaming the recipient for NHS 🐓-ups.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

But like i said, whats to stop them deciding to turn me off from life support and harvest me in order to save someone who's supposedly important? No thanks, i'd rather remain turned on and a veg with a minor chance of waking up - i have a son who needs a dad.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I wonder if some of those who want to opt out would have a different view if it was their partner or child that needed a transplant.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@artmo 

Interesting question.

Imagine a hypothetical situation where Bloggs needs a transplant and the Doctor says checking your records you have opted out of being a donor.......would not happen I know but equally if you opt out it would be hypocritical to then accept a transplant if you needed one.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Given the average age of the correspondents on this forum, it seems likely that they'll be needing a healthy young organ to replace one of their knackered old ones.