Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mathematics

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mathematics

Although I achieved high grades in Maths, Further Maths & Physics at “A” Level in Grammar School, I was offered a job with BBC TV Engineering, so didn’t go to University.
There is an interesting BBC programme on Algorithms I have just watched on-line, which reminds me of a lot of the course work we did.
Perhaps not interesting to many, but I found the programme fascinating, not least because it is a subject I understand.
(I also like Horizon, even theoretical Physics & Quantum Theory, though less understood !)
The BBC Algorithm programme explained in quite good detail how the Google PageRank algorithm worked, the backbone of Googles Search Engine.
http://pr.efactory.de/e-pagerank-algorithm.shtml
Other algorithms were also explained.
I’ve always had an interest in Mathematics, and still find daily uses for that knowledge, not least of which is designing & using Spreadsheets, for business & personal use.

I wonder if anyone else loves Mathematics, and has put their knowledge to good use ?
One personal example, I can very quickly calculate the change required when purchasing an item for cash, invariably quicker than a shop assistant operating a till can show.
I think mental arithmetic is a skill sadly lacking in many “youngsters” these days, due to technology, and perhaps not being taught it these days ?
Some of my Sixth Form Grammar school classmates, who went onto University, still leave me in awe with some of the discussions we occasionally have, with their superior knowledge of the subject.

As I say, a fascinating programme, well worth watching, it really does stretch your mind.
Algorithms are everywhere…

29 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Mathematics

There have been some pretty good mathematical discussions here in the past.
Not involving me I hasten to add Embarrassed although I do enjoy mental arithmetic.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

2+2=4, that's all the qualifications I need... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Did you ever watch the series Numb3rs? That was all about using Maths in real life with the FBI (fantasy series but good the same)
I haven't really used any of the stuff I learned many many years ago, but still remember being taught how to guestimate during my Higher maths. Still use that facility to this day. Trig now it has always eluded me.
Fixes: 104

Quote from: PlusComUK

I think mental arithmetic is a skill sadly lacking in many “youngsters” these days, due to technology, and perhaps not being taught it these days ?

It's certainly taught in primary and there is a mental maths test paper at the end of year 6.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I've a diploma in maths to go with my engineering degree. During my course one of my favourite lecturers had the view that mathematics was a branch of philosophy and definitely nothing to do with mental arithmetic  Cheesy
So you don't need to be able to add or multiply to be a mathematician  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
itsme
Grafter

Are some confusing arithmetic with mathematics?
Fixes: 47

Isn't that semantics Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well when I was at school, I did O grade Arithmetic & Maths. There was no advanced Arithmetic just Maths. Mind you that was nearly 40 years ago.
But I agree that most school kids now are/were taught to use a calculator not how to count. This may have changed in the past 10 years but it was certainly true 10 years ago.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Strat
Isn't that semantics Undecided

I have always been under the impression that Arithmetic is +-*/ and Mathematics is everything else. 
I'm please to say I do serious mathematics on a daily basis due to the nature of my work but catch me on an off day and I'd have trouble calculating my change at a shop!
But I agree with the OP, mathematics are beautiful; oh! has anyone spotted the mathematical theme in the Simpsons?
Community Veteran

I'm a paper and pencil mathematician as I did most of my study in the early days of computers. We had to have techniques which allowed us to get results by brain power alone. The techniques which spring to mind are group theory, the simplex algorithm, non euclidean geometry, dimensional analysis and matrix methods using eigenvalues.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I just studied Yan Tan Tethera.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

My little sister (in law).. she's a maths boffin and is studying it for her A levels. I recently asked her the square root of 4.... she answered with 16  Roll eyes
Just goes to show.. you can be good at maths but if you're not good at understanding the question... Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I'm a paper and pencil mathematician

Ah, so you're the constipated mathematician who works it out with a pencil... Grin
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I'm in the middle of a Maths MSc.