cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking Tape

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Masking Tape

When doing a bit of DIY painting, I find I have difficulty using Masking Tape, to provide a clean cut edge, Particularly around window edges. If I paint it, and let it dry, when I pull the masking tape off the glass, it usually pulls off sizeable chunks of paint from the frame.
If I paint it and remove the tape while the paint is still wet.... then I get a "feathered" edge, or stringy bits (of paint) sticking all over the edge I have just painted.
so when is the best time to remove the masking tape?
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Masking Tape

Before you put paint on it  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

How about once the paint has nearly dried, use a sharp Stanley/craft knife to trace along the edge of the masking tape to break the paint bridge between the glass and the tape, then the tape should just peel off cleanly.
You could use a steel ruler as a guide to get a really straight edge.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Hairy
Before you put paint on it  Cheesy

Ha Ha ! Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

Come on there must be some painters and decorators around here as I would also like an answer to this one.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

You could stop using Windows and come over to the dark side   Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As a suggestion:-
When the paint is dry, if it peels paint off the frame when you remove the masking tape you're putting the paint on too thick.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's the angle you pull it off, pull it off slowly and at a 45 degree to the window and 45 degrees to yourself and wait until the paint is nearly dry.
If you have very good eyesite you could always use a child's or small artists paint brush to smooth out any jagged lines.
Whatever you do have a bin liner handy there is nothing worse that having a long length of used masking tape covered in wet paint and having nowhere to put it.
NB I am not a painter or decorator and hate doing the job but funding, or lack of it leaves me with little choice.
Community Veteran

I've used the craft knife method in the past. Smiley
Like Gleneagles, it's not a favourite pastime, but needs must. I'd love to be able to say, "if a jobs worth doing, it's worth paying somebody to do it properly", but I'm only a poor Local Government employee, so have to do it myself.  Wink
John
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

A real painter wouldn't use masking tape - they would just paint a straight edge.

alanb
Grafter

Forget about masking tape and get yourself to a decent professional decorators' shop to buy some lining brushes. Like this ...
http://www.trade1st.co.uk/productdetail/Franpin/458.aspx
They are available is various widths. You probably need a couple, one about the same as pictured in the link, and a smaller one.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: A
A real painter wouldn't use masking tape - they would just paint a straight edge.

That's why we are asking...well me at least Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its amazing what a real painter could do with a lining brush, my Grandfather used to be in charge  of the Paint shop at Fords, he started at  Trafford park and then Dagenham, He hand painted the line down the side of those old bangers in the early 50's
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: A

Just the kind of thing we'd expect to hear from you lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
community
Grafter

As a DIYer of many years and having used masking tape a few times since my eyesight began to falter , the best advice you've had from here is from the OP who said use less paint at the edge of your stroke, then wait until the paint has dried and then peel off the tape carefully.
When you put on the paint too thickly it takes longer to dry at its  lower surface and only dries mostly at the top of the layer, so when you remove the tape the still wet paint underneath spoils your efforts.