Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Martin Lewis on Changing ISP?

ITV tomorrow (Monday 16/12/19)

8:00pm
The Martin Lewis Money Show
Season 9 Episode 3 of 10
With less than 10 per cent of consumers shopping...

If you can't see the full description of the programme, just click on it, or check your usual TV guide.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Pro

Re: Martin Lewis on Changing ISP?

If Labour had won the GE giving us all free broadband they would have had to cancel this one!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@TeeGee If such a wild idea ever took off, you would be looking at state-controlled access to the web as there is in some countries (use a search engine), and that is unacceptable in a free society.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Jonpe 

No doubt money can be saved by switching to another ISP but the same applies to many other things, car insurance being one example but the problem is twofold.

First you do not know the quality of the service you are signing up to and secondly there is a number of companies you would need to change each year to get the best deal, eg: Bank, Energy company, car & house insurance, ISP

Agree total savings could be good but the hassle if anything goes wrong.......and looking as complaints from some customers it seems things can go badly wrong.....a lot to be said for sticking with who you know providing you are getting a good service.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The problem with most ISP's is that customers are also stuck with them providing the landline.

And many are just middlemen taking their unjust dues.

Dropshippers get a bad name these are just more of the same.

I'm a poet and I didn't know it.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

Landlines are fast becoming as redundant as telephone boxes, a fact which ISPs have now come to realise which is why new customers will pay the same with or without one. 

Free internet was never going to happen and even if it did would only have freed us up from having to haggle with all the providers. We'd still be paying for it by some other means in much the same way as with the road fund licence or Council tax. 

Watched that Martin Lewis programme and prices seem pretty much the same across the board almost to the point of operating some sort of cartel of minimal pricing and not worth changing just for a couple of quid - unless you are getting poor service. 

That's my take on it anyway.😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Landlines becoming redundant....?

How can I use my internet at home without a landline ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

via your mobile phone.... ( pairing )  to the laptop/desktop/tower.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Sorry should have been cleared, but landline in respect of using the telephone. 

Highlighted
Hero

Or waiting until FTTP becomes more mainstream?

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

via your mobile phone.... ( pairing )  to the laptop/desktop/tower.

But would that be any cheaper ?

I no nothing about mobile phones other than the one in my car used for emergencies & cost £20.

Mrs has one of these fancy iPhones so assume that was used..both computer and phone would have to be on 24/7 ?

I thought the more you used a mobile the more data you used so would need a monthly contract....what would that cost.

Admit I am out of my depth on this topic .......

Perhaps it’s a age thing but think I will stick to the landline

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@gleneagles  DEPENDS..... on how much or how little you NEED the services of the internet..

If you only use the internet for email....and checking the weather, or whats on tv... then possibly,...

and you "could" get away with a PAYG type service.. where you get an allowance of data,  when that is used up... then you have to add more loot to your PAYG.. ( same as when you run out of phone call money)

But.. if you are on the internet almost all the time... and using data for surfing/social media/gaming./ downloading/watching films.. then .. probably not .

Here is an example from THREE   3 - 2 - 1 PAYG

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_As_You_Go/Phone_tariffs

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Getting a phone call from friend or family is like getting a hand written letter from them - few and far between these days.

It's all text and err... social media now. 

Same here with phone @gleneagles  - cheap PAYG one in car for emergencies and Mrs has a posh one for whatever and talking to the kids and stuff through the likes of whatsapp. Trouble is without being engaged in the same way myself the Mrs has to tell me (or more usually I have to ask) how the kids are, what's happening....and when she's booked up again for babysitting.

Out of the loop I think they call it. 🙂

Highlighted
Fixes: 882

@jab1 wrote:

@TeeGee If such a wild idea ever took off, you would be looking at state-controlled access to the web as there is in some countries (use a search engine), and that is unacceptable in a free society.

With court mandated blocking orders we might already be there....

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Hero

@dvorak I understand where you are coming from with that comment, but I don't think we've quite got to the position of certain states where everything other than govt. approved 'information' is not available.

John