Fixes: 1

Re: Marriage and civil partnerships

Ah, now that sounds like fun. 😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman 

Yes I agree that if you have lots of money & property compared to your intended partner then it would be a good idea but for the average couple starting with very little I see no point.......It could even raise the question of ..”I may not be able to trust you”.......

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

One of the main areas I would assume this resolves is pensions. Most people when taking a pension, will have an option to include a spouses pension in the event of their death before their spouse. An ex colleague of mine had been with his partner for some 30 years, but when he retired and came to take his pension he was not able to include a spouse pension as he had no legal wife!

I assume the civil partnership resolves this and makes the partner a legal spouse.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@MisterW 

This would be the state pension?

Surely his partner would have been able to claim a state pension in her own right assuming she had worked for the required number of year - which of course many did not.

There is such a thing as a widows pension... I wonder if now there is one for the windower - not that my Mrs is planning on going anywhere soon!  

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

@Minivanman  no not state, a company pension. Typically when taking a private pension, you have the option to take a reduced pension in return for a 50/66/100 % spouse pension, payable for the life of the spouse, in the event of your earlier death.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@MisterW 

Pension conditions vary.....when I go my wife gets 50% of my pension.....but...if I got divorced whilst retired and remarried the ‘new wife’ would get nothing in respect of my pension.

Amazing the range of different pensions out there

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles, pre-nuptial agreements are not legally binding in the UK although judges are likely to take them into account provided they pass certain legal tests.

@Minivanman, it was reported at the time of their divorce that Princess Diana got about £17 mill. (approx. equivalent to a single rollover on the National Lottery at the time!) .  She also got the right to retain her status as HRH (unlike her sister-in-law), and the right to continue residing at Kensington Palace (KP).  The latter was perhaps not of great monetary value since it was reported in 2002 that Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were only paying £69/week for Apartment 10 at KP, which is a three-storey home.  Their rent was increased to the slightly more realistic level of £10,000/month in 2010.  This was described as the full market rate, although I'm pretty sure there are many very rich people in the world who'd pay a lot more to live in KP should it ever be on the market.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

I had no doubt she'd have been on 'a nice little earner' in any divorce settlement, all I was suggesting was she would not have got half the house/s. 😛

Not the she needs the money, but just to let Camilla know he's worth (depending on who you ask) about £400m. As for his property portfolio that's anybody's guess. 

But hey y'know me, I just love royalty so may he live long, prosper and be worth every penny. 😉

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

@Jonpe 

... she would not have got half the house/s. 😛

As for his property portfolio that's anybody's guess.

@Minivanman, she certainly didn't get half of the Duchy of Cornwall .