Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maria Miller

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Maria Miller

The pressure on her keeps rising.
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/maria-miller-mp-either-pay-back-45-000-in-fraudulent-expense-...
I'd bet this will pass 100,000 signatures by the end of today.
I can't see how she can survive - in spite of Cameron's support.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
44 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Maria Miller

I heard on the politics show that this is a case that's already a few years old and she's already repaid over 38k, the remaining amount to be repaid apparently would mean the entire sum has been recovered.....
its amazing how a story that should of been aired a long time ago has miraculously been disclosed at a time when the media is about to get legislated against in the wake of the levinson enquiry and such "scandal's" are only just revealed, sounds more like the media having an axe to grind hoping to prolong the time taken to create the legislation and follow up legislative body to police there bad behaviour by getting rid of the minister responsible for the task ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: nanotm
I heard on the politics show that this is a case that's already a few years old and she's already repaid over 38k, the remaining amount to be repaid apparently would mean the entire sum has been recovered.....

Every quote I've seen about this has been the opposite, that she was originally requested to repay 45k, but it was "reduced" to less than 5 by the inquiry.
Community Veteran

I suspect nanotm is closer to the truth than anyone.  Wink
The media are hating the outcome of Levinson and are looking for blood wherever they can find it. They see an opportunity for a sacrifice here and are calling in the rest of the pack for the kill.
Of course, while they might think it, senior politicians aren't allowed to say that.  Cry
I've no idea what the actual truth is here, but I can GUARANTEE you won't hear if from any of the press affected by Levinson.
So, remember folks, when you refer to "evidence" or "quotes" just think where you read or heard it and think twice about how much, if any of it is accurate or balanced. No, forget balanced, that it will never be.  Lips are sealed
It's one way the press are threatening politicians over the issue without being direct enough to be accused of that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Cameron's support

That's the kiss of death for her political career then.
Community Veteran

I'd bet this will pass 100,000 signatures by the end of today.

Rather quicker than I expected - now past 104,000!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben
Cameron's support

That's the kiss of death for her political career then.

Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
WTF
Grafter

Actually, it's not just the press that have it in for her: the bigot brigade want revenge as she was a key player in pushing through the same sex marriage legislation - hence the number of Tories briefing against her.
I suspect there may be something in what nonotm says: it would explain why the MP's committee reduced the repayment to £5K - basically, the amount outstanding.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This appears to have a detailed breakdown of the debarkle:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/culture-secretary-maria-miller-under-pressure-after-cla...
The 4k-5.8k is just for her to repay the interest which she claimed on the mortgage.    Based on the above, she extended her mortgage by nearly 100k, on a second home,  housed her parents in it and spent most of her time in it, therefore shouldn't have been claiming expenses for the mortgage, or claiming on the interest.
Community Veteran

I still think it's fundamentally wrong how MPs have abused the second home allowance. They've been using tax payer's money to fund their property investments.
I struggle to understand how an MP living just outside London is given a large annual allowance for a second home, when there are high speed rail and other transport links into London.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Based on the official minutes from the hearing, the reason why it was reduced is that the committee decided that she was ok to claim it as a second home and expense it, nothing to do with it already being paid for. (but it was very finely balanced, and therefore I think the furore is justified)
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmstandards/1179/1179.pdf
The main thrust of the original complaint, namely that Mrs Miller was providing an immediate benefit from public funds to her parents, has not been upheld. The Commissioner
accepts, and the Committee agrees, that the designation of the main home was finely balanced. As we have set out, most of Mrs Miller’s mortgage claims were justified. If the
Commissioner had been able swiftly to establish the facts relating to Mrs Miller’s mortgages, and had been able to gather the documentation which would have allowed her (and has
allowed us) to judge the relationship between the changes in bank base rate and the interest charged to Mrs Miller, this might have been a relatively minor matter. As we have set out, Mrs
Miller has also breached the current Code of Conduct by her attitude to this inquiry. That is more serious. The system relies on Members responding to the Commissioner's inquiries fully
and frankly, rather than trying to argue a case in a legalistic way. It should not have required
our intervention to produce the material and explanations required to complete the investigation.
We have already recommended that Mrs Miller repay the £5,800 which she has identified as an overclaim. She should also apologise
by personal statement on the floor of the House for her attitude to the Commissioner’s inquiries.
WTF
Grafter

Amen to that, AndyH
What really irritates me is that the same people who are so generous with their own expenses are so stingy with tax deductions for actual working stiffs - y'know: the people who pay them.
When I work away from home and have to rent somewhere, I'm only allowed a tax deduction on the rent for the nights I use the property.  That means that, if I'm away 4 nights a week (more than an MP uses their second home), for every £70 of rent I pay, I can only deduct £40 against tax.  And naturally, absolutely nothing is deductible for furnishings or equipment I may need for the flat.
To add insult to injury, unless I change jobs, after 2 years the deductible goes down to £0.
I'd like to see the same rules applied to MPs: they should only get to claim for the nights they're away, they shouldn't be allowed anything for furnishing, equipment etc and all payments should finish after 2 years.  They clearly believe that's fair for us, it is therefore entirely fair for them.
Community Veteran

There's a simpler solution than that - no second homes at all and the assumption is that MPs live in their constituency.
MP's requiring accommodation in London should be provided rent free a flat, owned by the crown, furnished and utilities provided.
That would stop them making profits on the sale of properties we've subsidised them buying!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

20 years ago there was such a facility however it was disposed along with the gold and the war chest on the grounds of expenses providing the tax payer with better value for money
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
janitor
Grafter

Why does parliament need to meet anyway, it could all be done by video conferencing from the constituency, no second homes allowance, no travel allowance, just turn the Palace of Westminster into a museum, or flog it to become a hotel, that would reduce the deficit.