cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Inflation figures

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

March Inflation figures

[cynic mode] Good to see Merve and the BoE policies committee have firmly got inflation under control
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17738121
Must be time for more QE Undecided
[/cynic mode]
6 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: March Inflation figures

if COL is the same, another nice pension rise
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If I understand it correctly we are now back to the position we were in some time ago and owe over a trillion pounds.
Does this mean that all the cut backs and reduction in our standard of living has amounted to nothing ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The con dems will say that if we had not " suffered" then the position would be much worse than it is now......
well.... they would..... wouldn`t they...
and we can`t prove otherwise........ Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
Does this mean that all the cut backs and reduction in our standard of living has amounted to nothing ?

and, QE
Basically I'd say Yes. In very simple terms if we didn't have the 3.5% inflation, say it was 2% as BoE planned, my understanding is we'd have 1.3% growth instead of -0.2% recession.
I Blame it on QE. QE doesn’t pump money into the "people's pocket". You need the QE money to go into the people's pocket who are going to spend it on "UK manufactured goods and labour"
A better solution would be to cut VAT to 10% on building supplies for a year (stimulate the building and building repairs industry).
One solution frequently mooted is to give every pensioner £10,000, although personally it could come in handy, it would not be good for the UK economy. A typical pensioner would probably either put it in an ISA or book on a cruise, neither help the money-go-round
Community Veteran

Until the government listens to people and actively does something about fuel prices then things can only get worse. Another hike in fuel prices will kill the economy stone dead.
It was also interesting today to see the manager of one of the countries largest manufactures say what everyone else has been thinking. His words were that things are difficult here as energy prices are some 25% higher than France and Germany.
All we need now is TB to pop up and start singing "things can only get better".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Grin  Grin
Quote from: journeys
A better solution would be to cut VAT to 10% on building supplies for a year (stimulate the building and building repairs industry).

And there is no way they'll do that, having just plugged the "exemption" for Listed buildings  Sad