cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marbles

N/A

Marbles

Now that TLAP day is nearly over, please could readers concentrate their minds on marbles?
I have been playing nicely and made some very pretty icons for my folders from pictures of marbles that I filched from a website
(alright - maybe I am a bit sad).
Now this has got me thinking - does anyone ever play marbles these days? I suppose that they must do as this website is chock full of them - all different sizes, colours, and even hand-made ones.
Personally, I can't remember ever having played marbles so I don't know the rules. I am thinking that possibly this would be a good pastime for the long winter evenings. Can anyone advise please?
  Wink
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Marbles

My kids play with the, rolling them around the carpet with no apparent purpose. Still keeps them amused Smiley
We used to play you had to flick them to hole or mound of dirt, person that took the least flicks won.
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

jmd
Grafter

I used to have a lot of marbles that had been passed to me by a friend of my fathers - but apart from the fact that I liked the colours and patterns I never knew what exactly you were supposed to do with them!  I in turn gave them a friend's children.
Community Veteran

I've lost mine Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

At my age I have given up looking, even better next week going to look after 93 year old Mum
Community Veteran

You mean glagies we used t play it at school along with whip and top, fag cards, Hola hoops and we used to make robots out of a cotton real stick tacks in one end put laggy band through the cotton real through a piece of wax to a stick  (the wax slowed it down). You wound it up and it then travel along so you could race them or put grooves in to make them climb.
We had the telephone 2 tin cans and a piece of string, Gyroscope if you were posh, go carts made out of fruit boxes and the deadly Dutch arrows
Now thats got you all thinking some will remember others will wonder what the hell this silly old fool is on about
Community Veteran

Quote from: samuria
We had the telephone 2 tin cans and a piece of string, Gyroscope if you were posh, go carts made out of fruit boxes and the deadly Dutch arrows
Now thats got you all thinking some will remember others will wonder what the hell this silly old fool is on about

I remember all those, I had them too except the gyroscope (too posh for me).
Those Dutch arrows were something else. You would get locked up for making them now!
I also had a home made catapult and a spudgun.
So when you going out to play for the day you would be going through your checklist.....
Jam butties, Bottle of water, Dutch arrows, Penknife, String, spudgun, Catapult and matches for firelighting.
I think that was everything...happy days
I seem to recall that marbles were used as ammo in the catapults.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had a longbow plus gyroscope and yes I had them robots as well, plus a chemistry set back in the 70's wen I was a child.
N/A

Well, you have all had a good reminisce as I knew you would (I too remember hooplas and the top and whip).
However, back to marbles - I like the way the woo's children play with them - just rolling about and enjoying the results. It did set me thinking that maybe this would not be such a good game for me as my 'kids' (the dogs) would no doubt swallow them at the first opportunity, necessitating a hasty trip to the vets.
I absolutely knew that Pierre would come up with the correct solution and am only surprised that he didn't supply the first answer. I have duly gone to the linked website and bookmarked same. Apparently there are many made-up methods of playing but there is an 'official' one played in pubs.  This has got me thinking that perhaps PN could supply their staff with a set as a pleasant alternative to the pool table.
We could have fun watching the competition on the webcams. 
N/A

Wouldn't let me download one of my icons, but this is one of them that I used - very pretty.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

When I was young, (a long time ago) I used to use "Dutch Arrow" - also called A Swiss arrow, more commonly called a Dutch arrow, but also a Yorkshire arrow, or a Gypsy arrow is similar to a standard arrow, with the addition of a small notch close to the fletching.
my understanding of it even in those far off days was that it was used by poachers and even then was frowned upon by the police. I was surprised when looking it up that some misguided cub instructor wanted one to show the cubs (I was a cub leader for over 25 years).  The arrows were deadly and had a good range, in good hands they were accurate - but in the hands of 8-11 year old, no thank you.