cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maplin / Toys R Us

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Maplin / Toys R Us

Both have gone into administration today - both were looking for rescues that did not materialise.

Shame as Maplin were a good place once and even though they're a bit rubbish now, i still liked a look round on the rare occasion i was near one.

Toys R Us.. well shame my little lad will never get to see one. We went in their with him as a baby and they had quite a good R/C range compared to Smyths.

I guess the next thing will be stock reductions...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: Maplin / Toys R Us

I'm surprised to hear about Maplin, but to be honest I thought they were just getting greedy in the past few years, there really is nothing available there that you can't get from either Amazon, eBay, CPC or RS-Online and cheaper too. Shame all the same yet another name lost from the High Street.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I was the same with Maplin, back in the 80's they used to be a great supplier of electronic bits, then in the 90's they switched to pre-make kits and I stopped really buying from them.
Fixes: 232

Maplin were good if you urgently required something for a premium but, as @Mook said, you could get what you wanted cheaper elsewhere and often with next day delivery.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Shame about Maplin, like comments from other posts they were very good years ago and employed staff with a good knowledge of the products and good advice to customers.

Bought loads of small stuff from them years ago such as capicitors, resistors etc  but I cannot remember the last time I got anything from them must be more than 20 years ago at least.

Prices are just silly for many of their products.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm not surprised Maplin is going under, they used to be useful as a components supplier, then they became an outlet for chinese tat you could get from Banggod or DX for less for the same tat, the last thing I bought from one was a Uni-T multimeter, and that was about 5 years ago...

Community Veteran

Must admit although looking round a maplin store could take several hours of drooling, i did find the prices were way beyond reason for some things.

£35 for an arduino mega that you can get for £10 on ebay Huh

What i found annoying was their stock control for components. They'd frequently say they got something only to go and grab it and find none left.

On a positive note refunds were a breeze. If you had something go wrong they didn't quibble at all - just like any other shop these days they'd cough up your money with no fuss.

I will miss Maplin but they have kinda brought this on themselves.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Toys R Us wasn't exactly unexpected. Which is a shame.

Where else will people take their kids to see and pick out the toys to buy online elsewhere a lot cheaper.Smiley

I was surprised at Maplin. I still pop in my local one every now and then. Though lately the staff have usually been outnumbering the customers.

Community Veteran

Yeah i noticed that too - the last couple of times there have been 4-5 staff and one or two customers. I could never understand how they could maintain that.. i guess now i know the answer.

TRU are now selling stuff off, last day of trading is apparently 11/3 so if you want bargains for your kids or grand children..

Maplin still trying to ride it out and continue trading even though they can't replenish their stock - in other words going down fighting and still not lowering prices. They just don't learn..

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I'm surprised the owners of Hamleys haven't, as far as we know, expressed an interest in Toys R Us.