cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Man HACKS into 10-month-old's baby monitor to watch sleeping infant

TORPC
Grafter

Man HACKS into 10-month-old's baby monitor to watch sleeping infant

[quote=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-hacks-10-month-olds-baby-monitor-3468827]Apr 28, 2014 09:50 By Jessica Best
Mum Heather Schreck was woken by the stranger's chilling words after he hacked into the wireless camera stationed in her daughter's bedroom
The parents of a 10-month-old girl have spoken of their horror after their baby monitor was HACKED, allowing a complete stranger to scream at their sleeping child.
Mum Heather Schreck was asleep at home in Ohio when she was woken by the sound of a man's voice.
She grabbed her phone to check the camera she and her husband had installed in daughter Emma's room, and was shocked to find it appeared to be moving.

Edit:
[quote=http://hackread.com/baby-monitor-hacked-by-hacker/]They had installed the latest Foscam IP camera for baby monitoring. The company’s product was earlier in news as well for a ‘firmware vulnerability,’ which allows hackers to easily tap in and control the camera remotely. In August 2013, a hacker had allegedly hacked an Internet-connected cam and made some abusive comment like, “Wake up you little [EDIT]” to a two-year old girl from Houston after reading her name from her bedroom wall.
However, this was followed by a security fix from the manufacturers and increased security prompting the users to change the default admin user name and password.
Foscam wireless cameras are not the only ones that are vulnerable to attacks. Sometimes back, Qualys security researchers proclaimed that at least two out of every 10 wireless IP cameras can be authenticated without requiring password.
Tech experts feel that wireless IP cameras can easily act as doorways for cyber hackers.
3 REPLIES
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Man HACKS into 10-month-old's baby monitor to watch sleeping infant

Cool Hijacking webcams is nothing knew. Remember that scene from Amerian Pie? Shame on you if you do. But ordinary webcams are connected via USB to ordinary computers - or built into the device. But IP Cameras are standalone internet-of-things devices.
The big issue for any person using local LAN connected IP cameras is the need-to-know concepts like DMZ, UPnP, FTP and Port Mapping are way beyond their understanding. As far as most domestic users are concerned , hardware is, plug the wires together and wait for the blinking lights. And the Installation Wizards often use defaults with all of the necessary network security features hidden under advanced or expert user settings.
Many IP Cameras upload images and stream video to some cloud host - often the manufacturers site [ in the USA ]. This offers hackers a centralised datapoint for their phishing actvities. Anyone with networking expertise can figure their way into an IP camera inside a soft network, especially if that camera has a dedicated IP address or dynamic DNS hostname. A port scan against the router can show the camera's default 80 or 8080 port. The Http Header usually describes the server and the camera model. Thus, all the hacker needs is the camera's software - from the support page of the manufacturer's website - and they can access the camera from anywhere... and send audio...
thejudge
Grafter

Nothing to do with webcams, but this is a story I was told on another forum I frequent:
"I lived in a little terraced house, in an area popular with young families. When the baby arrived, amidst a storm of primary coloured plastic and weird things that I still haven't worked out the use of, we bought a baby monitor. It turns out that there are only so many frequencies: after rushing upstairs to calm the cries of mysteriously sleeping baby on a couple of occasions, we figured out that someone was using OUR frequency. Well, something had to be done. So, in the wee small hours of the morning...I picked up the 'transmit' bit of the baby monitor, and started speaking into it... And so it was that a house a few doors up the street suddenly lit up as (I imagine) the concerned parents rushed to baby's room to find the source of a creepy baby voice that was repeating "Satan is my Maaaaaster, Satan is my Maaaaaster"."
Smiley
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool That's the problem with domestic wireless devices; frequencies and uses will clash. Even though these devices have a range of 10 meters, anyone who knows radio theory realises the actual range is a lot further when using a quality aerial - instead of the bit of wire on the receiver's PCB. btw Even your WiFi is detectable from the Moon with a large enough dish! I note our weather recorder picks up some random signal from a 'sensor'  somewhere in the street. It's possibly a digital room thermostat?
A real threat to privacy comes with non-encrypted video senders. Anyone with a good enough antenna can 'DX' a sent video within 200 meters - and in suburbia, that's a lot of households in range. Maybe instead of using wireless hardware and smart phone apps, people should resort to an old fashioned baby monitoring technology; it's called using the ears - coz that's what babies were made for screaming into.